Rams overcome loss, win back-to-back games

Photo by: Michael Monroy

The No.6 Ranked team in Nor-Cal, Fresno City College Rams football team has had their struggles this season, but they have straightened things out in their final two home games of the season.

“We felt good coming into the game, we came off a tough loss, we’re really looking to rebound against San Joaquin Delta,” said Head Coach Tony Caviglia.

FCC Improved to 5-3, 2-1 in the Central Valley Conference with a 44-28 win over San Joaquin Delta. They started the day with a Quentin Breshears field goal, After a SJD touchdown, freshman running back Micah Ledezma scored on a 6 yard touchdown, which opened up the scoring for FCC.

“I felt we were confident at each phase as a team, offense,defense,special teams and it pretty much showed on the field today,” said Ledezma.

Ledezma finished with 109-yards on 10 carries and 2 touchdowns.

FCC’s offense came alive scoring 3 straight touchdowns, a 6-yard run from sophomore running back Alek Mechikoff and two touchdown passes from sophomore quarterback Marcus Montero to receivers Shakiem Barbel and Kevin Beckwith. Montero finished the game 14-22 with 3 touchdowns and 1 interception. The rams finished with 489 total yards.

football thing
Fresno City College football player Brayden Sanchez (5) scores a touchdown against Modesto Junior College, Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013, at Ratcliffe Stadium. Photo/Michael Monroy.

“We come out and we were able to do whatever we want offensively,” said  Mechikoff

The following week, FCC finished off their homestand with a 44-23 win over Modesto College. Modesto opened up with a 13-0 score after an 81-yard run by Teejay Gordon and and  FCC  freshman running back Errian Winfield fumble that was recovered and ran back for a touchdown by Modesto’s D.C Gardeley.

“We needed to regroup in the first half, we had to get comfortable with what they were doing, and their tempo and once we settled in a little bit. We got things like, missed assignments and turnovers corrected,“ said Caviglia.

FCC finally got on the board with a 54-yard pass from Montero to sophomore wide receiver Brayden Sanchez.

After two long FCC drives with 10 plays totaling 90-yards and 10 more plays for 81-yards, both ending with Montero 1-yard rushing touchdowns. Montero finished the game with 5 total touchdowns.

Brayden Sanchez had a huge day with 4 receptions for 135 yards and 3 touchdowns