Missing Police Firearm at Fresno City College

Photo by: Jesus Herrera
Parking structure at Fresno City College off of Weldon Avenue, formerly known as parking lot S, where the alleged firearm went missing on Aug. 17, 2023. Photo taken on Aug. 18, 2023.

Campus police are now searching for a service gun lost during the pursuit of two teenagers who were arrested Wednesday night near Fresno City College by State Center Community College District Police.

According to SCCCD Police Chief Jose Flores, while in pursuit of one of the teenagers a police sergeant fell, breaking their leg holster near the parking structure off Weldon Avenue. Flores confirmed that the firearm that was in the holster has not been found.

“The holster system was damaged because it released a portion of it and the gun,” Flores said. “It was caused by the fall.”  

Flores said after the fall the sergeant stayed in pursuit and was able to catch and arrest the suspect in the same parking lot.

After arresting the suspect, the sergeant realized their gun was missing and several officers went back to the location to search for the firearm. There are no known injuries.

The incident began when at least three teenagers, who were already being pursued by the Fresno Police Department, crashed a stolen car. After the accident, two of the juveniles fled towards FCC, at which point SCCCD police joined in the pursuit.

According to Chief Flores most of the juveniles were arrested by the FPD.

Flores said the juvenile had already been running for a quarter of a mile after the crash. 

Along with the holster, the sergeant’s body camera was destroyed by the fall.

There is no evidence of the lost pistol but if any member of the public finds this weapon, it can be returned with no questions asked by calling SCCCD PD dispatch at 559.244.6140.