Another Foul For Madec:

Former Basketball Coach Arrested After Alleged Threats Against School and Students
Photo by: Moises Buitrago
[File Photo] On Wednesday, Feb. 19 Ed Madec coached what could be his final game as the Ram’s head coach against the Reedley Tigers. Madec is currently under investigation for possible violations of CCCAA regulations.

Fresno City College athletics instructor and former men’s basketball coach Edward Madec was arrested on Oct. 13 in Merced County and has since posted bail from the Fresno County Jail. 

The warrant for his arrest was issued in August after he allegedly threatened to shoot and kill the State Center Community College Chancellor during a school lecture according to a warrant sent out by the State Center Community College District Police Department.  

Following Madec’s release from jail, SCCCD PD said that they are “deeply concerned that the alleged suspect may pose a serious and ongoing threat to FCC students and staff, and strongly urges not to confront him,” in an announcement sent to students and staff today.

SCCCD PD advises anyone who sees Madec to contact SCCCD PD immediately at (559) 224-6140 or dial 9-1-1 to report his presence and let law enforcement handle the situation. 

Few details about the arrest have been made available, but police did share that no weapons were in his possession at the time of the arrest. 

Madec was placed on administrative leave after multiple students filed reports in August that during a class lecture the instructor threatened to shoot and kill the SCCCD Chancellor. The warrant states that “Madec indicated the bullet points on his PowerPoint presentation were bullets ‘flying’ toward his students.” 

This is the second time Madec was put on administrative leave from FCC. The first was in 2020 following allegations from the California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) that he violated rules about providing special privileges to his players, according to court documents.

This is the second time this year the campus was threatened by a faculty member. On June 14, 2023 theater arts instructor Richard Fine was arrested after allegedly threatening an FCC dean, their family, and “all students on campus” according to a warning issued by the SCCCD PD.