Rams return to state championships

Photo by: Taylor Rodriguez

The Fresno City College men’s tennis team is looking to capture a second straight California Community College State Championship this week as they face Ventura College in Ventura, Calif.

Currently ranked No. 1 in the state, the Rams dominated throughout the Northern California playoffs, beating No. 7 Sierra College 9-0 in the first round, No. 3 Foothill College 5-1 in the second round, and No. 2 American River 5-0 in the NorCal finals.

Ventura College swept through the Southern California playoffs with a 5-0 win over No. 8 Palomar College in the first round, a 5-1 victory against No. 4 Riverside in the second round, and a 5-3 win over No. 3 San Diego Mesa in the SoCal finals.

The No. 1 ranked Junior College tennis player in California, Sam Bertram, defeated American River’s Andrew Amor in the NorCal playoffs in straight sets 6-2, 6-2. FCC’s Alec Bessinger and Joey River contributed in the win against American River as they defeated Charlie LaSalle and Kevin Valentine 8-3 in a doubles match.

Gray defeated American River’s Adam Duong 6-1, while De Romas joined Bertram to bring a victory in doubles against the duo of American River’s Amor and Duong.

FCC head coach Steve Loop says the team’s chemistry has been the key to the team’s success.

“They have each other’s back,” said Loop.

Joyson Therampilly John, Adam De Romas, Shane Leeder and Sam Bertram all finished their NorCal and Central Valley Conference careers with a undefeated record with two league titles.

“There is always a target on our back every time we go out on the court. Teams bring their best effort. As coaches we don’t put pressure on our players. We just let them go out there and play,” said Loop.

The California Community College Athletic Association Championships begin today at Pierpont Racquet Club, in Ojai, Calif.