Coach Madec wins 200th game at FCC

Coach Madec wins 200th game at FCC
Photo by: Yeng

With a 98-59 win on Jan. 23, Ed Madec got his 200th win as Fresno City College men’s basketball coach. Following his milestone achievement, Madec was quick to give the credit to the players he has coached over the years.

“It’s more about the teams and players I have coached, not about me getting the wins,” said Madec.

Through the years, Madec has focused on building productive young men who get to four-year universities and have successful careers.

His players move on but his process stays the same. He inserts new players into his system and the wins keep coming with his tough style of coaching.

“Our tradition never graduates. Our players do, but [the tradition] stays the same,” said Madec. “Winning is just a by process. We have a brotherhood, and culture here we can hang our hat on.”

Sophomore guard Thomas Hammick is one of many players that has  grown under the leadership of Madec.

“[Madec] has influenced us more than just as players but as men and taught us about life. He is invested in our personal lives,” said  Hammick.

The challenge is to continue the success year in and year out, adapting every step and staying ambitious

“Winning validates why our players get scholarships,” said Madec.

This season the Rams are on a mission to go back to the State Tournament and win back to back Championships.

“It feels too early to tell if the team can go back to back, but they are developing, improving and the team has to peak at the right time,” said Madec. “The team must be on schedule and continue to meet the goals.”

Madec says  tradition is the reason he was attracted to Fresno City College’s Basketball program.

In his seven years as Fresno City College Basketball head coach he has made it past the sweet sixteen each year, going to the final four three times.

He credits his high school coaches from Rio Mesa High School in Oxnard, Calif. and college coaches from Sonoma State as his mentors, who molded and showed him the way to be an excellent basketball coach.

These men instilled toughness in coach Madec that he coaches with everyday and looks for in players.

“High school and college is where I got my staple of toughness,” said Madec.