ASG senator fights for country and students: Former Marine balances duty and recreation in his hunger for success

Associated Student Government senator Josh Davey has fought battles for students and for our country.

Although when he is seen either around campus or behind the desk in the ASG office, he very often has a smile on his face and a very approachable attitude, there are a select group of people who have found out first hand that he is not to be trifled with.

Growing up in Atwater, Davey was very often found outside with friends. It was normally games of street hockey, soccer or football but every once in a while their activities would become a little more physical.

“I grew up fighting older kids on my block. We would have bracket-style boxing matches and fight each other until we were too bloody to continue,” said Davey.

As Davey grew older, the fights with his friends grew less and less frequent. However, the toughness that Josh learned in those backyard brawls has never left his heart, and influenced what was one of the most influential decisions of his life.

“Shortly after Sept. 11, I enlisted in the United States Marine Corps,” said Davey

He was stationed overseas in Iraq for two different terms of duty. While some of the effects of his time overseas cannot be seen, there is one that can.

Davey lost the tip of his middle finger while in service after the Humvee he was riding in rolled over a landmine.

“The blast took a giant chunk out of the truck,” said Davey. “When they got me back, they got my glove off and the finger was gone.”

Josh did not let that injury stop him once he got back stateside. He decided to re-apply himself to school and continue his fighting.

“Back in 2010 I joined [a mixed martial arts] gym and quickly became recognized as a top fighter in my class,” said Davey.

It wasn’t very long before Davey stepped into the cage for his first official match.

On Dec. 7, 2012 Davey faced off with Johnny Coronado, and in the moments leading up to the first fight there was only one thought crossing through his mind.

“I’m wearing my Marine Corps shorts with all the pride that goes along with earning them, and my only prayer is that I don’t let anybody down tonight,” said Davey.

Thanks to a triangle choke 38 seconds into the second round, he got his first win in an MMA fight. With all the sacrifice that Davey made to accomplish the moment, pride was his natural reaction.

“All of the times that I pushed myself so hard during a run that I felt like I would throw up; all of the hours spent at the gym when everybody else was out drinking, partying, and horsing around; all of the knee pain that I’ve forced myself to endure, and all of the meals that I’ve missed out on that bring joy to life just to cut weight [were] all worth it for this one moment,” said Davey.

But fighting is not the only thing that Davey does. This is also his first semester as an ASG senator.

“It is cool to be in a position to be a voice for students,” said Davey “I cherish that.”

He has heard student complaints and is currently working to bring rugby to Fresno City College’s campus before he is gone.

“I know that I play rugby and since I’ve been able to get about 30 people to sign up for the potential team, there must be other people that either play or are interested in playing,” said Davey.

But it is not just rugby, but all of the sports that Davey wants students to become more interested in.

“He’s trying to go out and get the school athletes to be more known and trying get more people at the games.” said fellow ASG senator Daniel Melchor.

For Davey, the future is still uncertain. As a corrections major he is still working on building himself a satisfying future.

“One thing I have always wanted is to go back to my hometown of Atwater and run and get elected to be mayor,” said Davey.

In the meantime, he plans to continue MMA fighting. With another fight scheduled for Oct. 25 in Dinuba, he is prepared to taste victory a few more times before he is done.

“The feeling of victory fills my soul like a cup is filled with water,” said Davey. “It’s a feeling that nobody will ever take away from me for the rest of my life.”