Rams Crash Out

Rams Crash Out
Photo by: Ram Reyes

Five, four, three, two, one, buzzer!

Just that quickly, the Fresno City College Men’s basketball team crashed out of the California Community College Athletic Association playoffs in the second round, with an unexpected 72-64 loss to Foothill College, Saturday, at Fresno City’s home gym.

The No.1 seeded Rams were highly favored to advance to the state Final Four and take home the state title. Entering the game on a 19 game winning streak, their last loss in early December of last year, the Rams look destined to make a run at the title.

Ed Madec coming into the game with a home record of 14-2 in the playoffs, had not suffered defeat at an FCC home playoff game since Santa Rosa College last year.

Seeded No. 17, the odds were not in the Owls’ favor. Showing very little mercy though, Foothill destroyed FCC with 11 three pointers in the game, 7 of which were in the first half.

“We did what coach asked us to do,” said Sophomore guard James O’neal.” “We were mentally prepared; I just feel it wasn’t our night.”.

Fresno City opened the game with a 9 to 3 advantage and leading at halftime 29-27 on Freshman forward Liam O’Reilly’s putback with seconds left.

The Rams were down early in the second half by as many as seven points, but fought back as Dejon Burdeaux scored four consecutive points, giving FCC a 52-49 lead with 9:47 minutes left

All-Conference guard Burdeaux finished the game with 13 points

“They played their best game,” said a dejected Budeaux after the loss. “I don’t think any team will ever play like that ever again.”

The Owls regained the lead with 7:43 remaining. The gym was tense as everyone knew the rams would need a basket to stay in the game.

FCC cut the late down to just one point with back to back Nick Hilton three pointers. Winning was on the horizon.

The Owls stopped the Rams’ comeback with a three pointer from Janvier Alaby and didn’t look back as they ended game and the Rams’ season

“We ‘threw the kitchen sink at them’ as Coach Madec would say,” said O’neal, trying to make sense of the shocking upset O’neal, the Central Valley Conference player of the year finished with six points and two steals.

The Rams ended the season with a record of 28-4, including going undefeated in conference play, and captured their 14 straight Central Valley Conference title.

“‘I’m really proud of our sophomores for leading us this season,” head Coach Ed Madec said. “They’ve been wonderful, absolutely wonderful.”