ASG: incompetent or malicious?

Is the Associated Student Government malicious or just incompetent?

This is the question that many are now asking about the ASG, the voice of Fresno City College students.

This question follows the questionable removal of Sen. James Demaree after comments on his personal social media pages were deemed “unbecoming conduct.” His removal is an unapologetic violation of the first amendment right to free speech.

When faced with this reality, it is difficult to look fondly upon the performance of ASG so far. We are eight weeks into the semester, and the time for adjusting the learning curve is over. It is time for the ASG to regain control and return to the mission of student advocacy.

In these eight weeks, what has been accomplished by our student government other than the removal of Demaree?

Nothing.

This is a problem for every FCC student. Eight whole weeks dominated by nothing more than a power struggle while the urgent business of promoting student welfare is neglected.

That time also could have been spent reaching out to students, especially freshmen, to help them navigate the college in times of scarce resources.

It sometimes appears that the ASG officers fail to understand exactly what they were elected or appointed to achieve.

The whole point of a student government is for students to have someone to advocate for them when they cannot do so themselves. Another purpose would be to provide experiences for students planning a future in politics.

Students look to their student government for guidance and example. If this body of officials is preoccupied with the removal of one of its members, the student body can only assume that they have been put on the back burner. That certainly is not the impression we want of our student government. We would rather see a strong student government, modeling an example of order and organization for the rest of us?

One would rather believe that the mistakes of the ASG result from incompetence rather than malice. But the very vote that resulted in Demaree’s removal challenges that belief. It was a manipulation of power to ensure that Demaree who had become a “torn in the fless” was removed.

According to ASG’s Constitution, 75 percent of the present voting body had to vote yes in order for a removal to be approved. However, the vote was 14 in favor of removal, two against removal and three abstentions. If only 14 of the 19 were counted, Demaree would have kept his senatorial seat.

The voting ended and the math started because there were obviously not enough votes to remove Demaree. In order to create the scenario in which this senator would be removed, the ASG leadership made the decision to not count the abstentions as votes. This resulted in Demaree’s removal.

In this process, the votes and voices of three senators became null and void. This is not democracy. This is not an example of effective leadership. Changing the rules halfway through the game does not create leadership. It only accomplishes a temporary agenda.

The student government also answers to the Fresno City College’s standards of operation and behavior as detailed in the catalog. The catalog promotes the respect of the majority as well as the minority no matter their opinions.

According to standards, “The students, faculty, and administration of the community college district are expected to respect the rights of the minority just as much as they respect those of the majority. Every individual, operating within the law, is guaranteed the basic freedoms.”

If our student government, the student voice of our college, blatantly ignores this principle, what does that say of our college? This is where the question of incompetence versus malicious intent comes into play. Did our student government know what they were doing? If they did, why would they continue with their course of action while knowing the possible outcome?

Since these events cannot be undone, the only course of action is to correct this behavior for the future. Our student government needs to pay closer attention to detail while promoting equality, advocacy and ethical behavior. As we move forward, our student government needs to be held to higher standards. They must exemplify conduct becoming of student government officials.

At the end of the day, they are students first as are we all. Unlike the student population, however, the ASG is given the keys to power and money. When dealing with those two components, our elected representatives need to remember their mission at all times.

Fresno City College students deserve leaders who are fully committed to advancing their welfare.