ASG Elections Set to Start

ASG Meeting. March 10, 2015. Photo/Daisy Rodriguez
Photo by: Daisy Rodriguez

The Associated Student Government have begun the process of their elections for the 2015-16 academic year. All positions from president to senator are available to any student with a 2.0 GPA and at minimum six academic units.

Potential candidates can begin getting elections packets from student activities and collecting signatures in order to get on the ballot.

“[Potential Candidates] have until April 11 to turn [their signature petitions] back in to Student Activities,” Sarah Gonzalez, Student Activities 2015 Elections commissioner said. “We check all of the signatures to make sure that all the people that signed are students.”

The elections have not gathered many votes in the past but with a few adjustments, student activities leaders hope that they can fix the long standing problem.

“[Candidates] must sign up to run for a specific position,” Gonzalez said.

In this years election, members must sign up to become a senator to represent a specific group on campus, instead of trying to represent the entire campus.

Positions include performing arts, veterans, social sciences, student success, business, student activities, humanities, health sciences, applied technology, distance education, library tutoring and special programs.

Students who turn in their candidate packets with enough valid signatures, will be required to attend the candidates meeting on April 14 in the senate chambers and the voting for candidates will open on April 28