Consistency Key For Volleyball Team in First Home Win

Fresno City College women’s volleyball team got its first conference win of the season, defeating College of Sequoia 3 sets to 1 on Sept. 24 at the FCC gymnasium.

After falling 26-24 in the first set during which the Rams made seven errors, FCC came back and won the next three sets.

Even though FCC got the win, eight year head coach Tracy Ainger-Schulte wasn’t pleased with the performance.

“We had four games to correct mistakes, and that didn’t happen,”said Ainger-Schulte.

Sophomore middle blocker Katie Lowe led the Rams offensively with 20 kills. Freshman middle blocker Malerie Crenshaw added 10 of her own.

“Its going to be rough for a while,” Lowe said. “We’ve been a team that’s been going up and down with our play, and today was one of those days.”

Sophomore defender Ally Cruse stepped up big defensibly for FCC, getting 22 digs.

“We came out a little nervous,” said Cruse. “We need to work on stability and consistency, [and] playing well the entire match.”

FCC is 6-3 for the season, second in the Central Valley Conference behind Reedley College.

The team is ranked No.6 in NorCal and No.13th in the state; their toughest opponent to date is No.4 Feather River whom they lost to 3 sets to 1 earlier in the season.

FCC is chasing its 7th CVC title in a row. “Until we learn to control what happens on our side of the ball, we won’t be going very far,” said Ainger-Schulte.

Crenshaw is leading this year’s team in kills with 77; sophomore outside hitter Alyssa Jones is second with 71. Lowe is third with 70.