A Whole New World

A Whole New World
Photo by: Daisy

The Fresno City College girl’s basketball team have had big shoes to fill this season . Coming into the season having lost star player Keyora Wharry as she transfered to a four year school and other veterans who left, this would be a new challenge for Head Coach Brian Tessler.

“It’s been a season of learning for both myself and my team. I’m coming off a season where I had a veteran team, and now for the first time in my community college coaching career I’m working with all freshmen.” Tessler said.

Sitting at 17-8 and in 2nd place in the Central Valley Conference, the Rams have a lot to do to make it to the playoffs.

“We’re looking forward to avenge some early season losses in the next few weeks,” said Freshman Forward Malerie Crenshaw

Some would say the 2014-15 season has been a “rebuilding” year for FCC, but Tessler views it another way.

“I don’t view this season as a rebuilding year. At the community college level, I don’t believe in rebuilding years. That’s just an excuse to settle for mediocrity. I still feel this team has a high ceiling with regards to improvement. “ said Tessler

Coaching a roster with all freshman is some new for Tessler, ”The lack of experience for the young team in the beginning of the season had shown on the court, said Tessler “As of now, we have played 24 games, therefore we shouldn’t use our youth as an excuse.”

Now he and his players are finally hitting their stride. “We had some obstacles and issues early on in the year but we’ve made tremendous progress,” said Tessler.

The rams have been great in a few areas this season, especially defensively with 16.2 steals a game, good for 3rd in the state. On the offensive glass the rams rank 6th in the state with 19.3.

The rams have also been shooting the ball v ery well this season making 7.6 3 point shots per game, good for 4th in the state.

“I believe our team can still make a run at getting to the State Tournament. But, in order to do so, all the players must not only believe it, but they also must be willing to put forth the effort it will take to get there.” said Tessler

The rams offense has been deadly this season scoring 76.4 points a game, ranked 4th in the state.

The rams have been also dangerous on the defensive end, with 11 of the 12 players on the roster averaging over a steal per game.

“I’m working with all freshmen. To their credit, they have started to understand my expectations of what hard work is. They also understand the responsibility of wearing the Fresno City uniform and they very much want to represent it in a positive manner, said Tessler.