Another Player Bites the Dust

All 32 NFL teams declaring their picks for free agency.
Photo by: Samantha Washburn

NFL Free Agency is underway for the 2024-2025 season, marking a pivotal moment as teams seek to boost their rosters ahead of the NFL draft.

Starting Monday, March 11, 2024, teams have two days to negotiate deals with free-agent players as an opportunity to get them on their team roster. All negotiations must be submitted and under the team cap, by Wednesday, March 13, 2024.

With the salary cap being $255 million, per team, $30 million above last year’s cap, This year’s free agency period has been notable, with some of the league’s biggest names changing teams.

Russell Wilson, who was traded from the Seattle Seahawks to the Denver Broncos during the 2021- 2022 season, has agreed to a one-year contract worth $1.21 million with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Denver will pay out the remaining $39 million of his contract, which they had with Wilson. This unexpected move surprised many in the football world.

Another significant trade was the departure of Saquon Barkley from the New York Giants. Barkley, who had only played for the Giants, became a free agent after the team decided not to franchise tag him, opting instead for a one-year contract with a predetermined salary.

He has since signed a three-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles worth $37.75 million, with $26 million fully guaranteed. Including sponsorship deals and other contracts, Barkley’s earnings could reportedly reach up to $46.75 million.

Team decisions will be more clearer following the NFL Draft, which will take place April 25-27