Obama keeps his ‘brothers’ safe

New White House initiative to focus on helping African-American and Hispanic males succeed in education system

The White House and many other organizations, in an attempt to rectify the struggles of students of color in our education system have put more than $300 million towards the creation of the “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative.

President Barack Obama even spoke and shared an inspirational message to young African American and Hispanic males .

“I made bad choices.  I got high without always thinking about the harm that it could do,” said Obama. “I didn’t always take school as seriously as I should have.  I made excuses.  Sometimes I sold myself short.”

The initiative was started as a response to the nation’s large racial achievement gap – a gap that has affected  Fresno City College for a long time.

According to statistics from Institutional Research going back to the summer of 2008, African-American students have gotten a 2.0 GPA and Hispanic students a 2.2, while their White counterparts have a 2.7 GPA in that same span.

Also in that span, only 56 percent of African-American students and 64 percent of Hispanics passed classes with an A, B, C or P, while Whites were able to get those grades 75 percent of the time.

The foundations supporting this initiative, including the Los Angeles-based California Endowment, have already made extensive investments, including  $150 million in current spending that they have already approved or awarded.

“More than 70 percent of people under 25 in California identify as persons of color. They will be our future leaders,” said Robert K. Ross, M.D., president and CEO of The California Endowment.

Building on that, these foundations are announcing that over the next five years they seek to invest at least $200 million, alongside additional investments from their peers in philanthropy and the business community, to find and rapidly spread solutions that have the highest potential for impact in key areas.

“We need to give every child, no matter what they look like, where they live, the chance to reach their full potential,” said Obama. “Because if we do, if we help these wonderful young men become better husbands and fathers, and well-educated, hardworking, good citizens, then not only will they contribute to the growth and prosperity of this country, but they will pass on those lessons on to their children, on to their grandchildren, will start a different cycle.  And this country will be richer and stronger for it for generations to come.”

The president has prepared himself since his State of the Union address, calling this a “year of action.” And he continues to work on attempts to better the education system and inspire the nation’s youth.

“After all, these boys are a growing segment of our population.  They are our future workforce.  When, generation after generation, they lag behind, our economy suffers.  Our family structure suffers.  Our civic life suffers.  Cycles of hopelessness breed violence and mistrust,” said Obama. “And our country is a little less than what we know it can be.”