Students Unaware of Health Benefits

Fresno City College makes students pay for lots of different things that many of the students on campus never even attempt to learn about or use.

Health Services, a program funded by the $19 health fee charged to students enrolled in credit courses during registration. Assist students with an array of health related topics that may grab their attention.

“A lot of times people will hear about something and they will get very concerned but in reality they have a very low risk factor,” said Lisa Chaney Health Services coordinator at Fresno City College. “We can make sure that you’ve had the proper steps and that you are going to be okay.”

With recent outbreaks and potential to measles in Fresno, the health services office has to stay up to date to be sure that they are able to assist in the many ways that students and faculty may need.

“We do have [the measles vaccine] as well as, on our website a rash page, so that you can see what measles looks like,” said Chaney. “It’s very contagious so if you aren’t fully immunized then it is very easy to get.”
Health services can see a student for a variety of reasons while there are on campus. Whether it be answering health related questions, Pregnancy test, vision; hearing and blood pressure test, coordinating insurance claims for students with campus related injuries.

“We are always looking for new and innovative ways to serve the campus,” Chaney said. “So if a student were to come in and say ‘I think you should do this’ then we would look into ways that we could do that.”

Also Registered Dietician, Stephanie Annett will be coming to FCC on Fridays from 8am- 12pm to discuss a variety of topics including Dietary Assessment, Body fat testing, Cholesterol lowering, High blood pressure and other General nutrition concerns.

“Anyone can book an appointment with her for nutritional counseling,” Chaney said. “Anyone who wants to find ways to get a healthier diet or just a healthier way to do things.”

Though health services are not the only amenity offered on FCC’s campus. The Psychological Services office, SC-216 right above the bookstore, is always an option for students dealing with stress or any other mental struggle of college.

“Psychological Services has the reputation that it is has and is recognized throughout the state as a model program,” said FCC President, Tony Cantu.
One of the various resources offered from the Psychological Services office is the wellness app designed to assist students in the everyday battle of staying well.

Along with the app, the office is open for any student who would want to schedule an appointment to speak with one of the many qualified interns that work in the office.

“The college that I was completing hours with before this I saw mainly anxiety and depression but here we see a bit more of everything,” said Psychological Services Intern, Gregory Crawford.

“That’s mostly because this is such a diverse campus.”

The psychological services office also offers their wellness app to assist students with health wise decisions while they are not on the campus and to help spread the word about how to reduce the stigma surrounding the topic of mental health.

“The wellness app is an important tool for us,” said Sarah Hayes, Psychological services office student assistant. “The entire goal is to help people and reduce the shame in asking for help and it’s just another great way to do that.”

But once Psychological services puts a smile on your face you’ll want to make sure it looks good with the Dental Hygiene clinic. Run entirely by students of the dental hygiene program under the supervision of licensed dental hygienist, the dental hygiene clinic offers students and community members a cheaper alternative to the high price of getting their teeth checked and cleaned.

“An appointment for these services at a dentist office could run thousands of dollars, here we only cost $30,” said Dental Hygiene program chair Joanne Pachecco. “The only caveat is that you have to trade that saving of money for spending of time.”

Since the clinic and all of its patients are handled by students being supervised most appointments are estimated to last between 2 to 4 hours.

“We have great students in our program,” Pachecco said. “Who are getting top of the line hands-on experience.”