Rams Narrow Victory in Eleventh-Inning Battle!

Photo by: Jesus Herrera
JP Acosta, #4, batting against Merced Blue Devils in the second inning on Mar 14, 2024. The game would end in the eleventh inning with a score of 6-5.

Eleven innings later, the Rams snatch a narrow 6-5 victory against Merced College’s Blue Devils holding on to their three-win streak.

Rams started strong, dominating the first three innings with teamwork and smart plays preventing the Blue Devils from advancing past second base.

They got four batters past home before the bottom of the third inning.

The Blue Devils would start to push back at the top of the fourth inning putting up three runs and stopping the Rams from scoring ending the inning.

Rams scored again during the fifth inning and neither team would score in the sixth. The Blue Devils gained momentum into the seventh inning by posting two more runs and tagging out three batters straight. As overtime starts, the stadium lights and cold winds cover the field with a 5-5 tied game.

An intense back and forth carried on for the next three innings. The Rams took their positions determined to stop the Blue Devils batters from stealing this game.

In the final play, #22 pitcher Cam Cunnings struck out the last batter of the opposing team, leading to the Rams’ celebration both on and off the field. At the start of the eleventh inning, the Blue Devil’s batter hit the ball toward #15 Logan Sumter who quickly threw it to #34 Elijah Cortez who tagged the batter for the first out.

The second batter got a solid hit but #4 JP Acosta swiftly caught the ball for the second out.

The Blue Devils’ final batter is struck out by #22 pitcher Cam Cunnings sending Rams celebrating both on and off the field.

But the fight isn’t over yet, as with #3 Evan Wallace hits and makes it to first base.

#25 Trever Jobinger switches with Cortez and sacrifices himself to allow Wallace to steal second base.

Korey Likens #12 takes bat for the final time of the night. He helps Wallace take third before walking and ending the game with the final score of 6-5 Rams.

The Rams next home game will be on March 21 at 3 p.m. against Porterville.