Rams Baseball Team Dominated Their First Game

Photo by: Julian Padilla
Devon Daniels the pitcher for the Rams in motion to deliver the pitch against the Cosumnes River College Chiefs with two runners on base in the top of the first inning on Feb. 2, 2024.

The Fresno City College Rams dominate against the Cosumnes River College Chiefs. The Rams played the Chiefs in a two-game series and took the first home game of the season with a score of 10-2 on Feb. 2.

The Rams ended their season just short after losing in the NorCal Super Regional playoffs with a 34-12 record last season with good numbers all through the board.

This year they are starting their season off with several new players and also a new head coach Mitch Karraker.

Coach Karraker is a native of Clovis and a Fresno City College alumnus according to Fresno City College.

Karraker has prior coaching experience at Baylor and the University of Oregon.

As players began to warm up that cracking sound of the baseball hitting the sweet spot of the bat just echoed across the stadium.

Friends, family, and teammates came out to support the Rams, and there was a packed stadium here for the first game of the season.

The Rams were electrified to kick the season off as groundskeepers chalked up the foul lines and the umpire swept off home plate.

Tonight’s game was wet and cold outside which can only add more pressure to these players.

The Rams throw the first pitch and the Chiefs get two hits aboard but couldn’t execute.

The lead-off hit in the bottom of the 2nd inning, and the Rams laid off pitches making the opposing pitcher work. Runners on first and second looked to start a rally.

A line drive to deep left center from Blake King brought in two runs Rams led 2-0. Logan Sumter hit a rocket in between shortstop and third base and tallied another run to the board 3-0 at the end of the second inning.

The Chiefs battled back with a chance, runners on first and second with two outs. A deep line drive in the gap between center and right field led to a collision with a spectacular diving catch from center fielder Evan Wallace. Teammates checked on him and he continued in the game.

The Chiefs bench was loud in the beginning of the game but got quiet as the Rams took the lead.

The Rams got another rally going with runners on first and second with two outs which led to a Chiefs pitching change in the bottom of the third inning.

Starting Rams pitcher Devon Daniel continued to dominate to strike out the side.

The Rams found a way to get on base almost every inning, with Mark Baca knocking in two more runs with a forceful hit to second as the second baseman missed the ball on a diving catch.

Jacob V. from the Rams hit a perfect contact on the ball and got a homerun as the stadium erupted cheering loudly but the umpire called a foul ball.