Rams’ Pitching Woes Lead to 11-5 Loss

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rams’ Pitching Woes Lead to 11-5 Loss

Rams pitcher Kohl Simas fires a pitch to the plate in the Rams' home opener against the Feather River College Golden Eagles on Jan. 27, 2019. Photo by Ben Hensley

Story By: Conner Stevens, Reporter

Pitching was the main problem for both Feather River College and Fresno City College during the Jan. 27 afternoon game at John Euless Ballpark as the Rams were downed 11-5 by the Golden Eagles.

The Rams found themselves in a hole early in the game as Feather River was able to work the count against starting pitcher Kohl Simas and manage to get three walks to open the game. The Golden Eagles would scratch across three runs in the first, coming off of a sacrifice fly and a bloop single into shallow right field.

FCC would strike right back with one of their own with lead off hitter Tyler Littlefield, who took a challenge fast ball up in the zone deep to left field for a homerun. Two batters later after a hit-by-pitch, sophomore Chet Allison would send another ball over the wall to left center to tie it up 3-3 in the bottom of the first.

Both teams would score one more run in the fourth before Feather River’s offense would open it up in the top half of the sixth. FRC would plate four runs in the inning, capping it off with a two-run double that made it 8-4.

The Rams managed to get one back in the bottom half of the sixth to make it 8-5, but the Golden Eagles would score three more in the seventh to put the nail in the coffin for the Rams as FRC would take the game 11-5.

Finding the zone seemed to be the biggest problem for the Rams’ pitching staff as they combined for six walks and three more hit-by-pitches, that gave FRC more than enough chances to put runs on the board.

The Rams look to find their stride as they are now 1-2 to start the season. Their next game is Jan. 28 as they host Mission College at 3 p.m.