Mental Healthcare and Housing: Vote YES on Proposition Two

Photo by: Courtesy of: Twitter

Story By: Anjanae Freitas, Entertainment Editor

I am in favor of Proposition Two in the upcoming California General Election, and here’s why you should be too.

Proposition Two is authorizing bonds to fund an existing housing program for individuals with mental illness.

I am voting YES on Prop Two because it will bring solutions to homelessness in California for those who struggle with fundamental rights to accessible health care.

This proposition hits close to home because I myself am always looking to bring awareness and put stigma behind the realities of the everyday struggles that come with being mentally ill.

Proposition Two will build 20,000 permanent supportive housing units under the “No Place Like Home” program. According to the California voters guide, “This will allow coordinated care of mental health, and substance use services, medical care, case managers, education, and job training to help people get the treatment and housing stability they need.”

The voters guide states that as of right now, currently 134,000 people are homeless because of untreated mental illness. No, I didn’t doze off on the zero button, you’re reading that right.

Not only are these numbers at an all time high, but the voters guide information also states that we oppose cruel and senseless funds giving $100 million to state bureaucrats who do not understand the struggles that come with severe mental illnesses.

And if you’re instantly thinking that you’re not looking to add more cost to your taxes. Listen up, because Proposition Two does NOT cost taxpayers a dime. Since 2004, the state has funding and preparing for housing to cover services that provide assistance for homeless people who are mentally ill. All that is needed in this Proposition is voters approval for the state of California to mandate funding for mental health services and treatment centers to be put into effect.

According to the voters guide, a study was done by the RAND corporation in 2018 showing the difference in approach of providing housing for homeless people in the Los Angeles Country after one year were the following: 3,500 homeless people were off the streets, 96 percent residents stayed in programs for at least a year, taxpayers saved more than $6.5 million in one year, and ER visits had a 70 percent decrease in emergency responder calls.

Another argument to look at is that these housings will create stronger partnerships between doctors, law enforcement, and homeless services who all struggle to find solutions for effective long term care for those in need of help.

As a college student who understands the struggles each month to afford basic access to mental health, I stand by any vote that will provide access to treatments and specializations that can improve anyone’s overall quality of life.

It feels like my duty not as a journalist, but as someone who empathizes with these struggles to defend my voice for change.

As someone who has seen the lives of my family members be taken because of the lack of mens health education and treatment opportunities in California, I urge you to see the importance in this Proposition.

If yourself or anyone you know struggle with mental illness, I ask that you take the time of your day to visit your local polling place on Tuesday, Nov. 6. and vote YES on Proposition Two.

Anjanae Freitas, Entertainment Editor

Anjanae Freitas is a 21-year-old Fresno City College student, and the Art and Entertainment Editor of the Rampage, born and raised in Fresno, CA.

During her time at Fresno City College, she found interest in the field of journalism, where she received her AA in journalism in the spring of 2018. She will continue to pursue her BA at Fresno State University in Mass Communications/Journalism Spring 2019.

One of her passions is poetry, Anjanae connects with poetry because it is an embodiment of the soul and human experience. Through poetry Anjanae as found not just her passion, but a way to mask healing and communicate her vulnerability. Anjanae released her first book of poetry on Amazon Kindle titled Bees & Weeds, in August, 2018.

One of her other passions is photography, which she developed through the many concerts and traveling she has done over the years. During a Katy Perry concert, Anjanae had the opportunity to be in the “Katy Perry 3D” movie.  Throughout all three of these hobbies and attending the film’s premiere, she has made connections within the industry where she was given an opportunity to collaborate with Capitol Records Street Team for Katy Perry. Through this line of work, she has been given many invitations to attend different entertainment events in Los Angeles.

Anjanae is leading towards the career field of social media management for the television and film industry. Her biggest accomplishment was having the opportunity to spend a day at Warner Bros. studio for Freeform’s hit show “The Fosters.” The event was significant in her career because it made Anjanae aware of and passionate about the representation that the television and film industry puts out in our society. Her aspirations in the entertainment industry would be to promote diversity and create strategies for companies to increase their representation of women, minorities, and the LGBTQ community both in front of and behind the camera, and on social media.

Ultimately, Anjanae’s career goal is to receive her MA in counseling to become a licensed Family & Marriage therapist.

You can contact Anjanae Freitas at [email protected]