SCCC Foundation raises $120k at Safari Bash

The ninth annual Renaissance Feast for Scholars brought a taste of Africa to the Fresno City College library on March 9.

The event, sponsored by the State Center Community College Foundation, raised $120,000 to fund scholarships for students.

The audience was entertained by drums while they ate dinner and participated in live and silent auctions.

Phil Larson, member of the SCCC foundation board, was auctioneer for the live auction in the dining room, which was transformed into a safari setting with fake tigers and giraffes.

“Everyone involved with this does a great job,” said Patrick Stumpf, member of the Willow International Renaissance Feast Committee.

The auctions were not the only way that money was raised; guests and sponsors donated generously to the foundation.

“We have a lot of community members who are very generous and who really believe in providing opportunities for the children of the community to receive an education,” said State Center Community College District Chancellor Deborah Blue.

The foundation exceeded its goal of raising $100,000. At the end of the evening, the district raised a total of $120,000 for student scholarships.

“All the donations are really up to the donors,” said Michael White, Reedley College president. “They can target sites whether it be Reedley, Madera, Fresno City or Oakhurst, they can decide where their money goes.”

The donated money creates opportunities for college education for many who may not otherwise have it.

While the event was festive and entertaining, it was deeply rooted in the great cause of education.

“I think it means a lot to the people in the community to be able to come out to a party and give money for scholarships,” said Herbert. “It’s not just a party to have a party, it actually has a meaning.”

And the theme of education for all was felt throughout the night.

“Sometimes I don’t think that people realize the great things that our alumni are doing in the community,” said Herbert. “We fuel the workforce; a lot of them come from either Fresno City College or Reedley, and you’ll even see them move on to other places.”

This commitment to excellence in education was showcased to potential donors throughout the evening

“When there’s a student that you know has that passion and that drive to be successful if you can help them with one book or with one class or one book,” said Herbert, “anyone who was in this room would do that.”

Former FCC student Danielle Burt addressed the audience, telling donors that their funds do not go unappreciated or unused.

“In my three years here, I received close to a dozen scholarships from benefactors here,” Burt said. “So, I love these people very much.”

The community once again come through for the students of the district.

“They know that our future, not only as a school but as a society, depends on the students that we serve, so they give, and they give generous,” said Chancellor Blue. “And they believe in supporting students in their efforts for a higher education.”