Fresno City Dance Program

Igniting Passion and Talent, Inspiring a Community of Dancers
Dance+Students+Perform+on+April+12%2C+2024%2C+at+the+Spring+Dance+Performance+
Dance Students Perform on April 12, 2024, at the Spring Dance Performance

From April 11th to April 14th, Fresno City College’s dance program showcased its vibrant talent at the 2024 Spring Dance Performance. The event, a culmination of months of dedication and creativity, featured a diverse range of dance styles, from contemporary and modern to hip-hop, jazz, and ballet. The dance program at FCC has been around since 1958. 

Instructor Kara Bithell, who played a pivotal role in organizing the event, shared insights into the rigorous process behind the scenes. 

“We have rehearsals every night, Monday through Friday, and sometimes on weekends,” said Bithell. “Students audition for faculty work, and then we select five students to choreograph their own pieces. It’s a quick process to produce something artistic, creative, and clean for the stage.” 

She emphasized getting students to enroll in classes and become dance majors. It’s a deep commitment that requires dedication beyond just class time.

Despite the challenges, including the cancellation of some classes due to low enrollment, the Spring Dance Contest had its largest cast in 30 years, with nearly 45 students participating. 

Bithell expressed pride in the students’ accomplishments, describing the event as the best she had witnessed in terms of creativity and artistry.

However, beyond the glitz and glamor of the stage, there lies a deeper reality for many dancers. Mental health issues and body image struggles often lurk behind the scenes. 

“A lot of anxiety and depression have been prevalent. We try to support our students by providing access to counseling and tutoring services,” Bithell said. 

The mission of the FCC dance program extends beyond performance.

“Our goal is to create an open space with equity and inclusion. We want to expose students to who they want to be. It enhances cognitive thinking and offers valuable skills applicable to any discipline,” Bithell said. 

Looking ahead, Bithell highlighted the evolving landscape of dance education, driven by technological advancements and changing trends.

“Technology has allowed for immersive dance experiences, which are gaining popularity,” Bithell said. “We’re also striving to make dance more accessible, both in terms of class offerings and cultural representation.”

Despite financial challenges, the passion and dedication of the FCC dance community continue to shine bright. 

“We may not have enough funding, but we make do with what we have. Our team treats each other with respect and equality, striving to support one another in our shared mission of nurturing artistic talent,” said Bithell. 

Bithell is teaching a dance conditioning class this summer and encourages students to sign up, as a lack of students has canceled the class. 

The dance expo is Saturday, July 27, 2024, at 8 a.m. The community is invited to join the FCC dance faculty and dance students in celebrating a day of dance and dance education. All genres and styles showcase the diversity within our community.

Tickets will be $10 on Eventbrite the link is to be announced.