Touchdown: FCC football players sign to big universities

Seven Fresno City College football players signed their letters of intent and committed to Division I FBS (New Mexico State, Cal Poly, Indiana State, and San Diego State) schools and Division 1  FCS (Eastern Illinois and Southern Utah) on Feb. 5.

The day marked the beginning of the national signing day period for high schools and community colleges to move players to play at  to play at big-time NCAA universities.

The players making the jump include members of both the defensive and offensive sides of the ball.

These players played a major part in helping FCC to an 7-4 record and a No. 5 NorCal ranking during this past season. Defensive lineman  Thomas Coronado and  Josh Gibbs will be attending Eastern Illinois and New Mexico State,  respectively.

“The recruiting process was slow at the beginning, but it picked up as the season went along. I feel like I made the right decision. It going to help that coach [Kerry] Locklin is going to  be there, I feel like I’ll have a leg up on the competition when I get there,” said Gibbs

Gibbs finished with 34 tackles, five sacks, 10.5 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles on the season. Coronado ended the season with  55  tackles, 10 sacks, 13 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble.

Both players were California Community College All-Region I and  First Team All-North Division Valley Conference.

Coronado ranking second in the conference with 10 sacks. Linebacker Nate Palomino signed with Cal Poly.

“It’s a good school, it’s close to home [and]  family and friends can come for games. All in all, these coaches have helped prepare me for the next level, so the transition to my next school will be easy,”  said Palomino.

Tight end Lafaele Fautanu signed with Illinois State. Fautanu  tore his ACL in  week 6, in a game against Santa Rosa. But the coaches at Illinois State visited after his surgery and he was still given an offer because the coaches loved his work ethic and dedication to the game.

Fautanu will be ready to play in the Fall of 2014, and is not concerned that his injury will stop him.

“They have a great facility, which will help  me with my recovery,” he said.

Gibbs, Coronado, Palomino and Fautanu  joined three other Rams who were mid-year transfers: offensive lineman Patrick Markarian (Indiana State) and Wylie Brand (Southern Utah) and Fullback Dakota Gordon (San Diego State).

They’ve all enrolled at their respective schools, and look to represent FCC football proudly.

“Well we’re just so proud of the work these guys have put in to play for us, and to be a part of our program for two years. Individuals who will remembered he for many years to come,” said FCC Head Football Coach Tony Caviglia. “We’re really excited for them. For them to continue to get their education and play football, that’s what we’re all about here at FCC.”

View Comments (1)