2024 NFL Mock Draft: Poynter’s Picks

Photo by: Flikr
Poster for the 2024 NFL Draft.

With the NFL draft happening tonight, I will be giving my my predictions of who gets selected, who’s trading with who, and a little outlook on the prospects themselves.

Chicago Bears (RD1: #1) – QB Caleb Williams [USC]

It’s no secret, that in the last two season, Williams is the obvious #1 quarterback in college football and has been the projected first overall pick for the past few seasons now. He has everything you want in a quarterback: arm, mobility, leadership, all of it. The Bears need a quarterback and for them to take anyone but Williams would be a failure by the Chicago front office.

Washington Commanders (RD1: #2) – QB Jayden Daniels [LSU]

Daniels, in my opinion, is extremely talented but needs a lot of work and he’s not the second best quarterback or second best project in this draft. However, Washington’s new offensive coordinator, Kliff Kingnburry, has a history working with highly talented and athletic quarterbacks like Kyler Murray and Patrick Mahomes. Washington itself is in need of a massive rebuild but having an athletic, explosive quarterback with a coach that can help him flourish wouldn’t be a bad thing at all.

New England Patriots (RD1: #3) – QB Drake Maye [UNC]

The first major big move of this year’s draft I see happening is Minnesota trading the 11th and 23rd pick to the Chargers to acquire the Michigan quarterback. McCarthy has a lot of tools to like: good arm, good placement, good leadership. However, with Michigan’s run it first mentality, it didn’t leave a lot of room for McCarthy to decide games based off of his abilities as a quarterback. I think in the NFL he’ll have a really good chance to show what he can do. Plus with all the rumors with Minnesota and McCarthy it sounds like he has a place he’s wanted despite not being a 3rd overall pick type of prospect.

Arizona Cardinals (RD1: #4) – WR Marvin Harrison Jr. [Ohio State]

Arizona could do a lot here but sticking and picking the best wide receiver in this year’s draft is a no brainer. Harrison has the skills, talent, and mentality to be a modern day wide receiver one. He’s as close to a perfect prospect as they come and for a team that needs a guy to be your number one, like Arizona, it’s an easy choice on who to go with.

*Minnesota Vikings (RD1: #5 via trade) – QB J.J. McCarthy [Michigan]

New York Giants (RD1: #6) – WR Rome Odunze [Washington]

The Giants need a receiver more than any team in the draft. Their roster is full of shifty slot guys but not too many route runners that have an insane catch rate. The Giants need a number one threat on the outside, and that’s Odunze. He’s got all the traits you would want in an X receiver: route running, hands, speed, consistency. His game should translate to the NFL on day one. He’s also my favorite wide receiver in this class. The Giants will get what they need. 

Tennessee Titans (RD1: #7) – OT Joe Alt [Notre Dame]

The Titans identity has been to run the ball and when that doesn’t work run it the other way. They were able to do it with Derrick Henry, but they lost him with free agency and got Tony Pollard. Pollard is great but he can’t run behind the Titans line like Henry could. Alt is going to be their guy on day one. He’s solid and will provide the Titans with great run blocking ability and sound pass blocking. 

*Cincinnati Bengals (RD1: #8 via trade) -TE Brock Bowers [Georgia]

Bowers and the Bengals are what each other need. Joe Burrow needs another target and Bowers will get a QB to get it to him. Bowers offers that old school blocking ability but also that new school receiver mentality.

Chicago Bears (RD1: #9) –  EDGE Laiatu Latu [UCLA]

The Bears need some sort of pressure. They have Montez Sweat and now they’re getting the best defensive player in this draft. Latu has the tools and size while not even being at his ceiling. With the Bears wrapping up their first round with Williams and Latu they might have the best draft grade coming out of night one of the draft.

New York Jets (RD1: #10) – OT Taliese Funga [Oregon State]

Funga projects more as a guard for me. But that doesn’t mean he’s not worth a top-10 pick. I think he can play guard and be a swing tackle for the Jets. Aaron Rodgers will be protected for a long time in New York.

*Los Angeles Chargers (RD1: #11 via trade) – WR Malik Nambers Jr. [LSU]

Trading back and still addressing their need at receiver is awesome, getting Nabers is better. He’s a big Play waiting to happen. Justin Herbert is going to be very happy. And they still get an extra first round pick.

*Philadelphia Eagles (RD1: #12 via trade) – CB Quinyon Mitchell [Toledo]

He’s not the best corner in this draft nor is he worth the top-16 pick. However, he can play within the Eagles system and they need help in their secondary. Mitchell should thrive and while he may not be the best corner, he may prove that he was worth this pick in Philadelphia.

Las Vegas Raiders (RD1: #13) – CB Terrion Arnold [Alabama]

Arnold is the best corner and best defensive back prospect in this draft. Period. Raiders need help in the secondary so this is a no brainer. He should be a shut-down guy day one and still improve over his tenure with Las Vegas.

New Orleans Saints (RD1: #14) – OT Troy Fautanu [Washington]

He’s my second best tackle in this class and Fautanu can back it up. He’s slightly undersized but he’s got power, speed, and foot-work that makes a trained ballerina look like a beginner. The Saints need help at tackle since their former first rounder, Trevor Penning, hasn’t worked out.

Indianapolis Colts (RD1: #15) – WR Brian Thomas Jr. [LSU]

The Colts could go defense but I think adding a different kind of receiver adds nuance to this young and explosive offense. Thomas is a step down from the last three receivers selected but he’s still solid. Thomas will be great for years to come.

Seattle Seahawks (RD1: #16 via trade) – OL Graham Barton [Duke]

Barton was recruited to play center but played left tackle at Duke. He projects more at guard or center. The Seahawks have beefed up their tackle spots but I think a good interior guy could be the final piece to this struggling offensive line.

Jacksonville Jaguars (RD1: #17) –  EDGE Jared Verse [Florida State]

Verse has it all. He’s big, he’s strong, and he’s got incredible power. The Jaguars need some, beside Josh Allen, to stop the run and create pressure. This would be an incredible steal for Jacksonville.

*Atlanta Falcons (RD1: #18 via trade) – EDGE Dallas Turner [Alabama]

Turner is not raw by any means, but he’s not as refined as much as the other prospects ahead of him. This is definitely a ‘I trust my coaches to make him great’ kind of pick. Given he gets the coaching he needs, he should be a great pass rusher for a long time. It also helps that he’s been projected to go to Atlanta throughout the draft process.

Los Angeles Rams (RD1: #19) – OT Olu Fashanu [Penn State]

I’m not as high on Fashanu as others but he’s incredible in pass protection. The Rams have been linked to a tackle throughout the draft process and Fashanu is the best one left on the board. He should be an automatic starter on day one.

Pittsburgh Steelers (RD1: #20) – C Jackson Powers-Johnson [Oregon]

Powers-Johnson has been sliding recently from injury concerns. I still think Pittsburg should select him here. He brings power and finesse to the position and with Russel Wilson being brought in this offseason, having a veteran quarterback teach a young center how to have a better connection is a lesson that not every rookie has the privilege to learn.

Miami Dolphins (RD1: #21) – DT Jer’Zahn “Johnny” Newton [Illinois]

Newton could be the next Aaron Donald. That should be enough to take him, if he slides this far.

*Denver Broncos (RD1: #22 via trade) – QB Bo Nix [Oregon]

The Broncos brought in Zach Wilson but I don’t think he’ll last long. Nix and the Broncos have had an offseason connection it seems and I think he’ll be starting halfway through the season.

*Los Angeles Chargers (RD1: #23 via trade) – OT JC Latham [Alabama]

Latham might be the best pure right tackle prospect in this draft. The Chargers need protection and with their biggest need being met earlier in the draft, this is the next logical step. Latham brings grace to his bulldozer blocking mentality.

Dallas Cowboys (RD1: #24) – OT Amrius Mims [Georgia]

Mims didn’t play much due to injury but even before he was hurt he was stellar. There’s no doubt if he wasn’t injured he’d be picked about 14 selections earlier. The Cowboys should take him if he falls, he’s the guy for Dallas. Mims is pure mauler and brings a sense of 90s grittiness in his film. Unless Jerry Jones messes up, he could be a Cowboy by the end of the night.

Green Bay Packers (RD1: #25) – DB Cooper DeJean [Iowa]

DeJean could play slot corner or safety. Either way, the Packers need help in their secondary and he’s a band aid for a lot of positions Green Bay needs to address in this draft.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (RD1: #26) – EDGE Chop Robinson [Penn State]

The Buccaneers need help along their defensive line. They made a pretty impressive playoff appearance last season but it was all because of their offense. If they want to return, getting the best remaining pass rusher is the way to go. Robinson has incredible bend and twitchiness to get in the backfield and he’s only improving as a run defender. The coaches down in Tampa should have fun with this pick.

Arizona Cardinals (RD1: #27) – CB Nate Wiggins [Clemson]

This is my cornerback two in the draft. The Cardinals need corners badly and this is the best steal possible in this draft. 

Buffalo Bills (RD1: #28) – WR Adoni Mitchell [Texas]

The Bills have lost more in the offseason than they’ve gained. That includes their two best receivers. Mitchell has incredible skills that translate to being one of the best route runners in the league. He reminds me of Ceedee Lamb and that’s probably one of the best compliments he could get.

Detroit Lions (RD1: #29) – DT Byron Murphy Ⅱ [Texas]

The Lions need to add depth as they have little needs. Adding Murphy not only adds depth but adds a starter that can dominate the trenches. The fact he fell this far would be a gift for the Lions.

Baltimore Ravens (RD1: #30) – OT Jordan Morgan [Arizona]

The Ravens have been linked to Morgan for a while now and it makes sense. He’s a perfect replacement for Morgan Moses, who left for the Jets in free agency. He’s a bit raw but has so much upside potential that it’s worth a late first round pick.

San Francisco 49ers (RD1: #31) – OT Tyler Guyton [Oklahoma]

Talk about raw talent; Guyton could be the best tackle in this draft but he needs so much coaching. Luckily, the 49ers have that staff and the team that can make him into an all-pro sooner rather than later.

Kansas City Chiefs (RD1: #32) – WR Troy Franklin [Oregon]

The Chiefs need someone who can run fast and run routes. That’s Franklin. He’s going to be the guy for the chiefs that’s going to beat guys off the line of scrimmage to get the game-winning score and right now Kansas City lacks that. Patrick Mahomes and Franklin will have an amazing connection this season.