Look deeper into the transfer process

Crucial steps in transferring to California colleges beyond Fresno City College

Making sure you’re doing what it takes to transfer to the University of California or California State University can end up turning into a laundry list of check-marked boxes and a load of stress.

Here are five tips on how you can better prepare yourself for applying to UCs and CSUs as an undergraduate student looking to transfer.

READ TRANSFER REQUIREMENTS 

Before making your checklist of  CSUs and UCs you’re interested in applying to, visit the Transfer Requirements section on Fresno City College’s website for information you need to know when applying to the California State University and the University of California.

If you need to find out which credits are transferable, or which courses you may have already taken that are allowed for selecting your major, visit the school’s individual website. Here are a couple deadlines to keep in mind:

Registration deadlines are November  1 – 30, 2013 for UCs, and October 1 – November 30, 2013 for CSUs.

REQUEST OFFICIAL COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS

Start submitting your transcripts to the UC and CSU ahead of time. Be urged to submit official transcripts as soon as possible to ensure that the information you’ve submitted online is accurate. The earlier you send your information out the sooner you may get a response.

COMPLETE 2013-2014 FAFSA APPLICATION

Filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid is your first step to securing financial assistance from federal, state and other options being offered by the specific colleges you are applying to.

The FAFSA will determine your eligibility for financial assistance, so if you have yet to do so, visit WWW.FAFSA.ED.GOV. Don’t forget to list the federal school codes that you are applying for financial aid to!

KNOW YOUR RESOURCES

Whether you’re struggling in a specific subject in class and you’re seeking a tutor that fits your individual need, or you’re stressing over the application process and you might just need special assistance from a counselor or advisor on campus – listed below are couple of resources you should consider that are geared towards benefiting you as the transfer student.

Whether you have a quick question or you require counseling that is more in-depth, academic counseling can be accessed or requested online at Fresno City College’s Online Academic Counseling Services. Making an appointment by phone is recommended to see a counselor in person.

For details or any other information on finding the counseling option that is right for you, visit the Counseling Department in the Student Services Building on campus located on the second floor.

Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) is a comprehensive program of services for students of lower-income, or who may be at an academic advantage. Academic counseling, tutorial assistance, and priority registration are just some of the benefits offered to students who qualify for EOPS.

Use this link to see if you qualify and apply to the EOPS program at Fresno City College, or visit the EOPS/CARE office located in ST 101 in the Student Services Building.

GET INVOLVED ON CAMPUS

Find your niche on campus, become a member of a club in a subject you’re passionate about – make your mark early on campus! Colleges want well-rounded students who exhibit confidence in achieving success in their studies who are also individuals who play a significant role in their communities.

Here are ways you can make your extra-curricular footprint:

Get involved with the Associated Student Government at FCC. ASG represents the collective student voice at Fresno City College. Elected officials advocate for students in representation of various committees.

Visit the ASG Office (SC – 205) or contact the ASG by phone at (559) 442 – 8275.

There are always opportunities to be a voice for your cause by becoming a volunteer in your community. Student Activities at FCC seek to engage students in service learning experiences that are meaningful to them scholastically while getting them involved with actions in the community.

Interested students can visit Fresno City College’s Volunteer Services page for a full list of available organizations to volunteer with.Visit the Transfer Center online, or visit their office on the second floor of the Student Services Building.

You don’t have to let nerves and anxiety get in the way of you getting the most out of the admissions process. Manage your time well and don’t procrastinate to get a head start on your transfer application.

Stay on the right track by continuing to practice healthy study habits, and strive for a high GPA. Good luck on your admission to transfer to the 4-year college of your choice!