The Rams look to veterans for stability

In its first outing this season, the Fresno City College Men’s Soccer team won  two games and lost one at the Hartnell Tournament in Salinas that started on Aug. 29.

The Rams defeated both Rio Hondo and City College of San Francisco by a score of 1-0 but lost to Cerritos College 2-0.

Forward Allan Lima scored the winning goal against Rio Hondo in the 61st minute. Goalkeeper Cesar Hernandez had four saves.

In the game with the City College of San Francisco, Rams defender, Christian Chaney, who had earned a red card during a game against CCSF last year, had to sit out.

Head coach Eric Solberg said the team must cope without Chaney. “Everyone has to be focused and disciplined this weekend,” he said.

This year, the men’s soccer team will be young and hungry after losing 16 sophomores as well as four of its top six players with the highest points from a season ago.

“We had 80 players come out during the summer; we’re finally getting the number down, getting the players we expected to get,” Solberg said.

FCC finished last season 13-6-3 and No.1 in the Central Valley Conference after eligibility issues about player from Taft College surfaced.

“The CVC has historically been a tough conference. In my 16 seasons here we’ve won the conference about 10 times,” Solberg said.

Solberg’s has been dominant and consistent, winning 228 games at FCC;  winning 87 CVC conference games and only losing 16 times with 22 ties.

Defender Christian Chaney who was an All-American and scored five goals with one assist last season is returning to the Rams.

“Christian is a vocal leader for us; he adds stability for us, and brings a presence on the field that makes him one of the better soccer players in California,” said Solberg.

Veterans forwards Efrain Perez 10 points (4 goals 2 assists) and Noe Prieto 6 points (2 goals 2 assists) also return to the Rams this season.

Sophomore midfielder, Victor Godinez said, “This year we need to play as a team and not as individuals.”