Community College Is Never a Bad Thing

Photo by: Courtesy of: The New York Times

Story By: Anjanae Freitas, Entertainment Editor

I flew through semesters of college thinking that going to Fresno City College meant that I somehow lowered my standards in education or took a step back, but the truth is, I was wrong.

I stopped participating in college at one point because I let society predict the value of my education based of materialistic standards and rankings.

The truth is, I was pessimistic about attending a community college. Going to a community college felt like I was a complete idiot. I felt like I was attending a slightly bigger high school with yet still familiar faces. My campus was not as prestigious as Harvard, so somehow that meant I was below everyone else.

My senior year of high school, all of my friends were picking their dream schools, getting acceptance letters to big universities, and I was getting an acceptance letter from good old FCC.

Sure, I had dream schools in mind, but my colleges of choice came with money, and by money, I mean lots. Whether I had the grades or not, I did not have scholarships or financial aid to pay my way through school. I did not have parents who had a college fund or an extra couple thousand laying around for me. So it was FCC or nothing.

I treated college like high school because that is what society had made me believe was the equivalent. Therefore my negative attitude, resulted in my not so positive grades.

I realized a year and half had gone by and I felt like I was still in the same place as the first day of college. A student education plan? What the heck is that? A tutor? That was for losers. Yet somehow, they were on the right path to graduate and I was failing and taking classes that were not even transferable.I wasted a year and half of not just my money, but most importantly my time.

So before I knew it, I went to my FCC counselor full of remorse ready for an SEP plan. I went to administration and records and filled out elevation slips to boost my GPA. I went to tutors and I begged for help. I spoke up in class. I got to class on time. I took notes, and not just doodles, I took real college student notes. I attended study groups and made flash cards. I got organized, but most of all, I became mindful of how lucky I was to have an education.

Not because I necessarily got comfortable, but because I found the beauty in this school. I took the time to admire the character in these buildings, the people who paved the way and created conversations to build this schools foundation and strive for better resources.

I built relationships with my professors, and found long-time mentors in them. I stepped out of my comfort zone and I joined clubs, I took action to be a leader in a community college, rather than a follower.

As I continue my education at Fresno State Spring 2018, I just wish someone would have told me to be more patient, observant, and appreciative of my education here at FCC.

FCC is not just a community college, it is a safe space that allows you the same general education as a few more thousand dollars in debt would. Community college is what you make it, and I made it my safe place.

Anjanae Freitas, Entertainment Editor

Anjanae Freitas is a 21-year-old Fresno City College student, and the Art and Entertainment Editor of the Rampage, born and raised in Fresno, CA.

During her time at Fresno City College, she found interest in the field of journalism, where she received her AA in journalism in the spring of 2018. She will continue to pursue her BA at Fresno State University in Mass Communications/Journalism Spring 2019.

One of her passions is poetry, Anjanae connects with poetry because it is an embodiment of the soul and human experience. Through poetry Anjanae as found not just her passion, but a way to mask healing and communicate her vulnerability. Anjanae released her first book of poetry on Amazon Kindle titled Bees & Weeds, in August, 2018.

One of her other passions is photography, which she developed through the many concerts and traveling she has done over the years. During a Katy Perry concert, Anjanae had the opportunity to be in the “Katy Perry 3D” movie.  Throughout all three of these hobbies and attending the film’s premiere, she has made connections within the industry where she was given an opportunity to collaborate with Capitol Records Street Team for Katy Perry. Through this line of work, she has been given many invitations to attend different entertainment events in Los Angeles.

Anjanae is leading towards the career field of social media management for the television and film industry. Her biggest accomplishment was having the opportunity to spend a day at Warner Bros. studio for Freeform’s hit show “The Fosters.” The event was significant in her career because it made Anjanae aware of and passionate about the representation that the television and film industry puts out in our society. Her aspirations in the entertainment industry would be to promote diversity and create strategies for companies to increase their representation of women, minorities, and the LGBTQ community both in front of and behind the camera, and on social media.

Ultimately, Anjanae’s career goal is to receive her MA in counseling to become a licensed Family & Marriage therapist.

You can contact Anjanae Freitas at [email protected]