Your 20s Aren’t Always Your Best Years

Photo by: Carolyn Bailey
This was me July 19 2015 at a friend’s house drinking a beer at a party smoking a joint, my average night for six years.

Being 28 years young, I can certainly say that my 20s have been some of the most challenging years of my life. I have dealt with drug addiction, homelessness, and abusive relationships.

I feel like there is this common cultural understanding that your 20s are going to be a period of growth, personal discovery, and challenge but I was not made aware just how hard that was going to be. So, for myself, no. My 20s simply have not been the best years of my life.

While others were pursuing careers and degrees, I was partying every night with no hope for my future and no end in sight.

There came a point in my life around 26 when I finally had enough of the drugs and alcohol, and decided to seek out therapy. That was two years ago and thankfully I am still seeing a therapist weekly to work through the trauma that was my 20s.

I feel that many older people I talk to reminisce about being “so young,” yet I look back on my younger years and am thankful I’m not like that anymore.

There has been this common theme throughout American culture that youth is the standard for women and men, yet this mindset directly contradicts the idea that we should always be growing as individuals.

If we are constantly living in the past and hoping to “go back to the golden years,” we never experience what life truly has to offer us. We should be welcoming aging with open arms instead of doing everything in our power to slow it down.

I believe people should be allowed to go out, party, and have fun. But, there comes a point in time when you have to consider your future and the impact you make on the world around you. I understand it is hard to see and be aware of these things, believe me, I did not think anything of my actions.

I believe there will come a point in time when you will look back on your 20s as a very important lesson. And to me, that’s exactly what my 20s were, a lesson. A lesson on how to love myself and those around me, as well as how important it is to be true to yourself and your aspirations.

Most importantly, my 20s taught me to not give up on myself so early in life for I have only just begun to blossom.