Football back on track after homecoming win

The Fresno City College Rams football team beat the Wolverines of Sierra College 27- 24.

After starting the season 3-0, losing to NorCal No.4 ranked San Francisco City College 61-0 and No.6 Santa Rosa 30-27.

Returning home for their homecoming game was especially big for the Rams versus No. 9 Sierra for their first conference game of the season .

FCC opened the game with a 44-yard reception to Kevin Beckwith from Marcus Montero. Montero would end the drive with a 1-yard touchdown rush. FCC was sluggish the rest of the half getting two field goals by Quentin Breshears before halftime.

“We started off slow in the first half, played soft but we came back and kept fighting,” said head coach Tony Caviglia.

FCC’s slow start continued on through the second half, going three possessions without a score until freshman running back Errian Wingfield got into the endzone in the third quarter.

Wingfield finished with 84 yards from 19 carries and one touchdown.

FCC was leading on the scoreboard heading into the fourth quarter 20-17, then the tide turned as FCC drove down the field for another score and virtually ended the game. They were penalized  5 yards on a false start call.

Then Montero was sacked twice for a 6 and 11-yard loss, and freshman running back Micah Ledezma was stopped for a 3-yard loss.

FCC lined up to punt the ball and the snap was high and Brayden Sanchez ran back 39 yards to recover the punt giving Sierra the ball on FCC’s 22 yard line. Sierra would go on to miss a 32-yard field goal.

“Heart, thats all heart man, we stick together, we’ve been through this before and we stopped them,” said linebacker Issac Sarate.

The following possession, FCC tried to burn some time off the clock, getting the ball to midfield. Then disaster struck as Montero threw the ball into Sierra defensive back Michael Saulter’s hand and Saulter raced 45 for a touchdown.

But the score was overturned as Saulter was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct. As he reached the yard 10-yard line, he started showboating and high-stepping.

So the touchdown was taken away. Yet Sierra was given the ball at the FCC 25-yard line, Sierra would go on to score. FCC needed to make a play and he did.

Montero went 4-5 for  64 yards and  drove the ball down, giving FCC and their entire season life.

Montero was big in the end with the seven-play drive, ending with  a 6-yard touchdown pass to Dakota Gordon in the four quarter.

With the lead  in hand, FCC needed their defense to make a play and they did with  an interception by sophomore defensive back Gerald Nutt to seal the victory for FCC.

“We were aiming to make a play all night, I saw the ball in the air and made a play,” said Nutt.

FCC went on the road and faced nationally-ranked No.3 American River College in Sacramento, coming up short 31-7.

FCC’s lone score came from Errian Wingfield, a 10-yard touchdown in the third quarter.