Rams Win First Game on Their New Field

Photo by: Josiah Poynter
Fresno City College softball and faculty pose for a picture before the ribbon cutting for the new softball complex at FCC on March 5.

Fresno City College was victorious on the field as the softball team won both their games against the College of the Sequoias Giants in their new complex. This represents significant progress in the right direction for women’s athletics at FCC.

The ribbon cutting ceremony was on March 5, however, the original date was Feb. 24.The opening was a part of International Women’s Week. Multiple speakers took to the podium from players to faculty.

This is a time of celebration for the school, district, and women’s sports in general according to FCC President, Robert Pimentel.

“Today marks a significant moment as we gather for this special ribbon cutting,” Pimentel said. “We celebrate the inauguration of a $5 million athletic complex that promises them an enhanced experience for our student athletes.”

Players and coaches, from both past and present, gathered for the opening ceremony. FCC track and field, cheer, and women’s soccer attended as speakers from the team, college, and district officials .

“We love you,” State Center Community College District Chancellor, Carole Goldsmith, said. Softball Head Coach Linda Garza, understands that with an achievement like this big things need to come with it.

“It’s just a remarkable place to be. I’m lucky that I get to lead it…the things that we’re able to do now and my goal is to win a state championship,” Garza said.

To finally have a school and district be in support of building stadiums, complexes and fields is amazing and already a step in the right direction. Having the support of a community makes all the difference to players.

Kylie Nunes, sophomore softball player, knows there is much work that goes unseen for them to play.

“This is such a beautiful complex, and we are so honored to get to play on our own field,” Nunes said. “There has been tons and tons of behind the scenes work being done here to make this possible, and we just want to thank everyone who has a part in it.”

FCC softball is one of the top winning sports teams we have. Since being an official sport in 1983, softball has won 10 conference championships.

FCC has wanted to upgrade the soft ball field for years now according to the State Center Community College Facilities Master Plan 2019-2030.

“…including the replacement of the existing field house and much needed upgrades to the Women’s Softball area,” cited in the State Center Community College Facilities Master Plan 2019-2030.

Goldsmith remembers meeting with the FCC’s Associate Dean of Athletics Derrick Johnson, during the pandemic with masks on talking about the potential of what is now the new complex.

“We were all out in this field, 10 feet apart with our masks…envisioning what could happen,” Goldsmith said.

Softball went on to win both their games, 2-1 and 3-2, proving that the Garza era will bring something special while having a home to dominate in.

The Rams will take on the West Valley College Vikings at home on March 23 at 12 p.m.