Students Express Themselves in Intramural Speeches

Zachariah Rodrigues gives a speech on the perception of art at the music/speech building on April 19, 2017. Rodrigues took part and won a cash prize in the intramural speech ontest at FCC.

Photo by: Armando Carreno

Photo by: Armando Carreno

Story By: Eric Jaramishian, Reporter

Fresno City College students competed in an intramural speech competition April 19. Students of all majors were welcome to present different types of speeches that included topics of their choosing.

Dozens of students giving the speeches had the option to give a persuasive speech or an informative speech. Persuasive and informative speeches were divided into separate rooms for competition purposes.

Persuasive speech topics ranged from the importance of sports, smiling, and art, while informative speech topics ranged from Malcolm X, Global Warming, and Picasso.

Stephanie Saveda, 19-year-old Biology major, gave a persuasive speech on her experiences with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and gave a lesson that people should not judge people by what they cannot see.

“The adrenaline of being able to perform on an academic level is enjoyable,” said Saveda. “To me, it is more enjoyable than the physical competition of playing a sport.”

Zachariah Rodrigues did a persuasive speech on the perception of art. “I have been a musician for almost my whole life,” said Rodrigues, “and I wanted to let everyone else know how art can change your perception on life.”

Three rounds of speeches were held, with lunch provided to all participants in between the competition. The first two rounds had all speakers present their speech once per round, followed by a final round that decided the placement for the speakers.

Those who got into the final round of competition got the chance to win small scholarship prizes and plaques donated by faculty at FCC. The winners won $75 and were awarded plaques, while runner-ups won $50.

The final winners for the persuasive speeches were Saveda, Rodrigues and Dalton Serviner. Winners from the informative speeches were Troy Bennett, David Garrett, and Lynn Harrod.

“What is most rewarding for me is seeing the excitement from the students in giving a speech,” said Dan Scott, communications instructor. “The intramural speeches give them a platform to express themselves, and with the overwhelming support we’ve had this year, it has been a fantastic event.”

Dan Scott is the founder of these competitions and has been running these competitions for 12 years.