Thinking About Becoming A Chef

Fresno City’s Culinary Class
A group of students that are learning how to cook in the kitchen in 2009.
Photo by: Keith Ferris

Fresno City College offers a culinary program that will prepare students for the field of culinary arts. 

Jonathan Davey has been the head instructor of the culinary program since fall 2011. Davey previously taught at Institute of Technology and at Brigham Young University. 

“One of the things I love about cooking is that there is always something new to learn. Both of my parents were fabulous cooks and instilled a love of food,” Davey said. 

The classes will cover basic food preparation, food safety, kitchen math, purchasing, kitchen management, quantity food preparation among other topics. 

“The purpose of the program is to prepare students for entry level positions in the food industry, as well as give them the skills that will help them with being promoted to management positions,” Davey said. 

These classes can put students through experiences that can prepare them to be a great chef in the kitchen, whether it’s managing the kitchen or working in the food industry.

According to the FCC website, the culinary arts program offers three different certificates: Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced Culinary Art certificates. 

The basic and intermediate program is designed to get you ready for entry level food service employment. 

The advanced program wants to prepare students for career advancement into entry level management positions.

Courses are offered face-to-face or online, but courses that require hands on will only be offered in person.  

In order for students to get certificates they need to complete a certain amount of units. The basic class is a total of 8.5 units, the intermediate is 7.5 units, and the advanced class is 12 units. 

Students can obtain a associates degree in food service management and various certificates in food management and culinary arts. 

At the end of this program students may receive job opportunities and internship placement assistance through the Career and Employment Center. If the student doesn’t have a work site planned the instructor will help place them.