Freeform Cancels ‘The Fosters’ to Create A Sequel and Fans Are Not Happy

Photo by: Courtesy of Freeform

Photo by: Courtesy of Freeform

Story By: Anjanae Freitas, Reporter

After five seasons of “The Fosters,” Freeform has decided to cancel one of their highest ranking shows, which touches on today’s most important political and social issues in society.

On Jan. 3, Freeform officially announced that the show will wrap up their season 5B with the last ten episodes, along with the final three episodes, which will air summer of 2018.

Show-runners announced that the decision to cancel the show is to create a sequel starring Callie (Maia Mitchell) and Mariana (Cierra Ramirez) and their lives after high school.

Fans are extremely disappointed at the decision to cancel the show to solely focus on a sequel, as this takes from the soul purpose of how groundbreaking this show has been for fans.

Fans and cast members of “The Fosters” have taken to Twitter with outrage, using the hashtag #RenewTheFosters.  

Scrolling through the hashtag, you will find unhappy fans and cast members expressing their opinions as to why this show is important now, more than ever.

Last fall, the fate of the show was brought to fans’ attention via producer Bradley Bredeweg tweeting, “As u all know, producers can work on many projects. We await word from our network as to the future of #TheFosters, our first love.”

“The Fosters” is about an interracial married same-sex couple who raise their blended biological and adopted children. Every episode has continually fought and made waves for the U.S.’s foster-care system, DACA, LGBTQ rights, POC represenation, and the stigma around mental illness.

Removing the moms, Stef (Teri Polo) and Lena (Sherri Saum), from the storyline will erase representation from the LGBTQ community that so many fans who have grown to see themselves not just represented, but represented accurately.

Just over two years ago, Freeform made the decision to change their name from ABC Family to Freeform, in order to have more creative freedom and avoid the stereotypical standards that the ABC Family network was known for. Therefore, it seems a bit hypocritical to change the direction in which this show is heading, being that a teen drama is what the company is trying to move forward from.

There seems to be more white lies behind the reason this show is being cancelled that fans are dying to have answers to.

According to TVSeriesFinale.com, after last years season finale, The Fosters ranked number two behind Freeform’s highest viewed show Pretty Little Liars which has now come to an end. If  The Fosters has a huge following and Freeform’s biggest hit show as come to an end, why cancel what is now their biggest money making show and renew other low ranking shows on their network?

Becoming a trending topic on Twitter may not renew the show, but putting attention on it at least holds producers accountable.

Fans at least deserve answers on the decision to cancel a show that has impacted so many people’s lives.

3 Comments
  • Freeform Cancels ‘The Fosters’ to Create A Sequel and Fans Are Not Happy

Entertainment

Wakanda Forever: Black Panther Serves Something New

• Entertainment

Dance Alumni to Perform at Rogue Festival

Entertainment

Students Excited about Extension of Grizzly Fest

• Entertainment

Manchester Mall Renovations Bring More Options for FCC Students

Entertainment

Onion Founder Humors Crowd At Fresno City College

Entertainment

Johnny Cash Tribute Band Ram Pantry Benefit Concert Is A Smash

Entertainment

10 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day When You’re Broke

Briefs

Johnny Cash Tribute Concert Will Benefit Ram Pantry

Entertainment

Signs to Support March for Women’s Rights

Entertainment

Mike Dana to Be Inducted into Jazz Hall of Fame, Will Retire in May