African-american student athletes uphold legacy

Fresno City College has a history of African-American athletes that have excelled on and off the playing field. Four current African-American athletes are striving to continue the tradition. They are hoping to finish their career at FCC and move on to major universities to achieve success in their sport as well as their lives.

Thomas Hammock

Guard

Men’s Basketball

Thomas Hammock started playing basketball at the age 8 when he learned the game from his father and older brother.

“Watching my older brother play and playing at Centennial High in Compton is where I learned and playing basketball is something I love to do,” said Hammick. “Competitive spirit, the passion for the game, the way me and my teammates compete on the court, there’s nothing like it.”

His main goal is to get his degree in communications.

“I’m using basketball as a tool to get my education. I want to get my degree more than anything. It is very important to me and my family,” said Hammock.

He chose to play at FCC because of their winning tradition. His decision paid off last year when the Rams took the state championship.

This season, Hammick is confident that his team will repeat as state champions.

“I’m happy I came here. It has been the right decision for me,” said Hammick. “Like my coach (Madec) says, tradition never graduates, and I want to keep it going.”

Duce Bell

Winger

Soccer

Bell has been playing soccer since the age of 3 when he came to the U.S. from France.

He attended Bullard High School where he was a three-year varsity starter. What motivates him is playing in front of a large crowd.

“Scoring goals, the atmosphere, playing with my teammates is what I enjoy the most,” said Bell.

He and his teammates have a close relationship with one another. Outside of soccer they’re always hanging out to have team functions and dinners. Bell hopes to move to England and play professional soccer.

In the meantime, he is at FCC majoring in kinesiology. His proudest moment in soccer was being the only sophomore on a Bullard high varsity soccer team full of seniors.

Bell helped his team win a valley D-1 championship and advance to the state playoffs. Bell takes pride in the path that he has chosen so far. He feels that attending classes and playing soccer at FCC has turned out to be one of his best choices.

As an African-American athlete following in the footsteps of others who have gone on to have success in their sports careers and education, Bell loves the idea of potentially becoming one the first African-American soccer players turned professional from Fresno City College.

Octavia Burnett

Guard

Women’s Basketball

Octavia Burnett has been playing basketball for seven years. She was a four-year varsity starter at El-Diamante High School. Being a team player, working together and being a leader on the court is what makes basketball a passion for Burnett.

Last season, Burnett helped her team advance to the state tournament with a key steal late in the game. Burnett chose Fresno City College for its winning tradition and because many players from FCC go on to play D-1 basketball.

She is majoring in kinesiology, hoping to be an athletic trainer after she is done playing basketball.

With a 3.7 GPA coming out of high school, Burnett feels great knowing she is helping lead the next wave of black athletes, and being looked at in the community as a role-model.

Duron Singleton

Safety

Football

Duron Singleton has been playing football since his freshman year at Helen Cox high school in Harvey, LA. He enjoys football for its contact and physicality. Singleton has made a reputation for being one of the most physical players on the field.

He chose to major in sports management because he wants to stay around sports and give back to the sport he loves.

Singleton achieved one of his proudest moments in sports when he was part of the 2012 FCC football team that went on to win the conference title

He is focused on receiving his AA degree from FCC and moving on to play his college football at the University of Missouri.