New VP of Student Services Appointed

Story By: Samantha Domingo, News Editor

After two years of not having a permanent vice president of Student Services at Fresno City College, the board of trustees has approved Lataria Hall to permanently fill the position.

Hall will take over for acting Vice President Barbara Blanchard and will begin her position at FCC in January 2018.

The State Center Community College District board made the decision to appoint Hall at its meeting in November 2017. The vice president of Student Services position has not been filled on a permanent basis since Chris Villa resigned in December 2015.

Hall has been the associate dean of categorical programs at West Hills College Lemoore since April 2015. She has also held various other positions within the West Hills Community College District since 2008, such as DSP&S director, adjunct guidance studies instructor, a DSP&S counselor/learning disabilities specialist, and an administrative intern in Student Services.

Hall credits her 11-and-a-half years of working in a Hispanic Serving Institution and being a part of the Achieving the Dream core team, which improves students success, as the best experience to prepare her for her upcoming position at FCC.

“My experience also includes using data to create a culture of evidence in order to increase student success,” said Hall. “My work in the categorical programs gave me autonomy to use best practices while increasing completion rates for students who have been historically marginalized and underrepresented, resulting in them graduating at rates similar to their peers in the general population.”

Hall earned her doctorate of education at Northcentral University, and her masters degree in Rehabilitation Counseling and bachelor’s degree in social work from Fresno State.

“I believe that education is also the most powerful weapon that can be used to change a person’s life,” said Hall. “My goal as VPSS of Fresno City College is to make sure that every student has an opportunity to obtain that weapon by removing barriers, increasing access and closing achievement gaps.”

Hall also plans to work very closely with Don Lopez, FCC’s vice president of instruction, to make sure that their work in student services is supporting the work and goals of instructional services.

“Fresno City College will afford me an opportunity to take on new challenges, grow, continue to do amazing things, and be part of a college district that strives for excellence,” said Hall. “I know that this college administration is committed to student success and mitigating outcome disparities and that is something that holds true and dear to my heart.”

Samantha Domingo, News Editor, Social Media Director

Samantha Domingo is 21 years old and is currently in their fourth semester at Fresno City College, majoring in both journalism and communications. After getting their associates degree, they plan to transfer to a CSU, in hopes of pursuing a career in public relations. Samantha also holds a license in cosmetology, and works as a stylist part-time at a locally-owned salon in Fresno. In their free time, Samantha enjoys singing, baking, and changing their hair. Samantha has an unhealthy obsession with Frank Ocean, and cried when ‘Blonde’ dropped.

Follow Samantha on Twitter @notnotsammi

2 Comments
  • New VP of Student Services Appointed

Community

Discussion of Indigenous Women Takes Center Stage

• New VP of Student Services Appointed

Community

FUSD Teacher Strike Could Impact FCC

• New VP of Student Services Appointed

Community

President Goldsmith: One Year Later

• New VP of Student Services Appointed

Community

Fire Chief Jacob McAfee: A Life Lived in Service

• New VP of Student Services Appointed

Arts & Literature

FCC Instructors and Students Paint Mural for the Valley

• New VP of Student Services Appointed

Faculty

Larry Honda — Instructor, Musician and Athlete

• New VP of Student Services Appointed

Faculty

SCCCD Trustee Payne Under Investigation

• New VP of Student Services Appointed

Community

FCC Instructors Discuss Racism and White Supremacy in ‘Unite the People’ Panel

• New VP of Student Services Appointed

Faculty

Athletic Director Leaves For Clovis Unified. Who Will Fill The Permanent Position?

• New VP of Student Services Appointed

Faculty

District Challenged for Out-of-Class Pay Discrepancies

New VP of Student Services Appointed