Wifi Connection on Campus

Are you having difficulty logging onto the Wi-Fi on the Fresno City College campus? Well, you are not alone. Many students and staff are facing the same problem when it comes to connecting to the Internet on campus.

Students have found that there are areas on campus that work better than others and some students have issues with not being able to connect at all.

Although students can do homework and research off campus, many would prefer to stay on campus to avoid distractions at home. But if they can’t connect to the Internet while on campus, what are they to do?

“The campus does not have 100 percent coverage in all areas. It is a goal we are working towards but we are not there yet,” network coordinator, Harry Zahlis said. “If there are specific areas which students aren’t able to connect, they can send an email to [email protected] and we will see what we can do to add additional wireless connectivity.”

Zahlis also recommends that students not bring personal Wi-Fi devices or try to tether their phones to their computers. These devices can and do interfere with the campus wireless network and it can have an effect on other users trying to connect.

“One misconfigured personal wireless hotspot can all but negate the wireless access points that are part of the wireless network and that others may be connected to.”

FCC President Tony Cantu said that technology is an issue that is being addressed and developed. “There’s a series of goals on a yearly basis of where we want to be,” Cantu said. The technology plan is aimed to resolve technical problems districtwide and on campus. He hopes improvements will increase the wireless access points on campus.

Anyone unable to connect to the Wi-Fi should visit the the Technology Support Services office located in the Media Center. There is staff available to help students, faculty and staff get connected with their devices.