Audiences thrown for a ‘Loop’

The story, “Looper” takes place in the year 2042 when time travel has not been invented, but in the year 2072, not only has time travel been invented it has also already been outlawed and is only used on the black market by large criminal organizations. When those organizations want someone dead they send them back in time to special assassin called loopers where they kill and collect their pay.

All the way until the loops must be closed by sending the future older looper back through time to be killed by the younger counterpart, therefore “closing the loop”. But in the future a mysterious character called the rainmaker takes over and attempts to close all the loops. Joe (Gordon-Levitt) is having his looped close he lets the older Joe (Willis) escape in an attempt to find the child version of the rainmaker and change the future.

The organization of loopers is then looking for both of them to make sure that they can bring in them both to put an end to the broken loop in the time cycle, this leaves Levitt with the choice of a lifetime between risking his present and saving his future, or ending his future and saving his present in this explosive action thriller.

It tries telling a very difficult story that can go wrong in so many different ways such as the realism issue in a time traveling movie. Although director Rian Johnson succeeds in an attempt to bring that science fiction theme to the big screen in a way that can be seen and understood in a way that doesn’t leave to many gaps or conflicts.

Also the acting jobs put forth by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Jeff Daniels, Pierce Gagnon, and Paul Dano are all worthy of recognition, as this movie lives up to the hype placed on it and will no doubt go down as one of the top movies in 2012.

“Looper” grabs an “A” and is great watch for Sci-Fi fans and those who just like blood spilling everywhere. But be warned the movie has workings similar to such movies as inception with the way layers of story are worked and pulled back.