FSU professor plays for FCC

FSU professor plays for FCC

After three years of playing tennis at Fresno High School, Candace Egan planned to go to college and play tennis.

She struggled to make time for tennis as she got married and became occupied with other aspects of life.

Today 54-year-old Egan is playing for the Fresno City College tennis team despite also being a full-time multimedia professor at California State University, Fresno.

Egan finished the 2013 season undefeated in conference play.

When she started working at Fresno State, she tried to get back into tennis recreationally but was not in shape physically or mentally.

“One of my colleagues had an interest in tennis, so we got back into shape together and would go play matches at Roeding Park,” said Egan.

She enrolled at FCC this year and registered for the tennis class taught by assistant coach Roni Monreal. Surprised by Egan’s performance, Monreal asked Egan to come to fall practice.

Since joining the team, Egan has bonded with her teammates and it has made the team chemistry strong throughout the season.

“They were cool about me playing on the team. My age wasn’t an issue at all. They would come to me asking about tips on serving and etc,” said Egan.

She has had support of her family and friends throughout the process. Even some of her colleagues have come to see her play and she is always the topic of conversation with other professors.

“Her tennis background helps her in matches. She is able to give advice to other players and be helpful in key situations for the team,” said Monreal.

Egan looks at her teammates as daughters. Her positivity and advice always kept things calm when things got tough during the season.

With the team having no players who have played junior college tennis, Egan’s undefeated season helped the lady Rams finish third in the league, a feat which Monreal did not expect at the beginning of the season.

Egan loves the demand and physical and mental aspect of tennis. She compares it to a physical chess match.

“It’s about analyzing and problem solving and combining that with the physical. That’s what makes tennis a great sport,” said Egan.

Along with many of her teammates, Egan will be back next year to bring more success for the Rams.

Egan won the Big 8 Conference singles and doubles championship on April 5, and has now qualified for The Ojai state tournament.

“It would be lovely to win a match there,” said Egan. “There are some outstanding people there. I know there is no way I’m going to beat any of those supreme players but the experience will be great.”