Born Betty embodies creative talent

Photo by: Yeng

Born Betty (left to right) Dave Abeyta (bass guitar and back up vocals), Jeff Bennett (keyboard), Kyle Waller (lead singer, guitar), Chris Trigueros (lead Guitar, back up vocals), Josh Tibbet (drummer and back up vocals).

Story By: Matthew Elliott, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Born Betty is an evolving force within Fresno’s music scene. Few bands in the Central Valley have their combined attributes. Thay are committed, educated, career-driven musicians with strengths of character, collective wisdom and preparedness for the future.

Lead singer, rhythm guitarist and chief songwriter Kyle Waller is a 30-year-old chef instructor at a culinary school. Lead guitarist and backup singer Chris Trigueros. is a 37-year-old registered nurse; drummer Josh Tibbet is a 24-year-old archaeological field technician.  Bassist Dave Abeyta is a 41-year-old x-ray technician, and keyboardist Jeff Bennett is a 25-year-old shop and equipment manager for a landscaping company.

“We started as a cover band, actually,” said Abeyta, “but we wanted to go in a different direction.”

The addition of Waller turned out to be a turning point for the group. After starting out as a cover band, they shifted their focus to developing new music. The current lineup produces an atmosphere of talent, creativity and patience.

The group recently released their first album, “Creeper.” As an independent rock band, they single-handedly recorded the album in Tower District practice room.

Born Betty’s variable sound is unique to the area and is difficult to pinpoint. In one instance, they have a lofty feel. Then one track later, their music is hard and gritty, comparable to music crafted by Queens of the Stone Age. The band’s influences include the Foo Fighters, Weezer, the Deftones, Radiohead and Incubus.

“Kind of like the whole ’90s and the early 2000s alternative rock scene,” said Trigueros.

The band plays whenever their schedules can permit it.

“Ever since a young age, I have always enjoyed playing,” said Bennett. “Whether it’s for a small crowd or if it’s a big crowd, it’s just the enjoyment you get out of seeing other people be happy because you created something for them, and you give that to them. There’s a feeling up on stage when you’re playing that’s unlike any other.”

Born Betty is determined to continue building on their progress.

“I think that the main thing for me is that we write better music in a year,” said Waller. “I really just want to push the band to write even better, get tighter on the stuff that we have and play as many shows as we can.”

For more information and to purchase music, find them on iTunes or visit www.reverbnation.com/bornbetty.