Rams’ Forward Ethan Richardson Finds Home With Rams

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ethan Richardson fends off the defense with one arm while shooting with the other during the Rams' 81-60 victory against West Hills Coalinga on Feb. 4, 2019.

Photo by: Ben Hensley

Photo by: Ben Hensley

Photo by: Ben Hensley

Story By: Conner Stevens, Reporter

The Fresno City Men’s Basketball team had many accomplishments in the 2018-2019 campaign that included: a perfect 16-0 conference record, a win-streak of 26 games during the season, an 18th conference championship and a final four appearance in the state finals, where their season would come to a close with a 58-49 lose to Fullerton College.

Looking back on the Rams’ 28-4 season, one can’t help but notice the big man inside that contributed to their success in a considerable way.

That big man inside is 6-foot-10-inch sophomore Ethan Richardson.

Graduating from Madera High school in 2016, Richardson decided to continue his basketball career San Francisco City College where he played in eight games. In those eight games, he started seven and averaged 11.9 points per game to go along with 5.4 rebounds a game and shot 51 percent from the field.

Following his first year at SFCC, Richardson made the move to go to another community college in the valley. “When I left San Francisco I went to Reedley [College] where I didn’t go to school,” Richardson said in an over the phone interview.

“I slacked off and didn’t do too well so I was back home for a whole year and then made the decision to come to Fresno City.”

It was then that Richardson met up with Rams Basketball Coach Ed Madec. When describing the differences in programs that made him want to come to Fresno City, Richardson emphasized, “willing to come here and compete.”

Looking at the numbers, that’s exactly what Richardson did, he came in and competed.

Working with Madec would bode well for Richardson as he put up impressive numbers in the 18-19 season. Scoring 16.3 points per game, shooting 63 percent from the field and averaging 7.4 rebounds per game in his 32 games played.

That along with a season high 33 points shooting 13-23 and doing so in just 23 minutes in the Rams’ March 2 playoff win against Sacramento City College.

Richardson credits coming to FCC and working with Madec as the reason for his improvements in the paint, “He taught me to attack everything,” he added. “Coach Madec is why my success in the post has gone from good to elite.”

Richardson plans on keeping that mindset as the opportunity to go on to a four year gets closer, “I will continue to play somewhere for sure,” he added. “I want to play pro someday and the next place I go I want it to be a brotherhood and be as crazy as me about winning.”

Though there isn’t a set path for the near future for Richardson, he did receive his first Division one offer to the University of North Dakota this past week.

No matter where Richardson goes to continue his basketball career though, he looks to have as close group of teammates that he had this season, “The decision to come to Fresno City changed my life with the brothers that I have made here.”

About the Photographer
Ben Hensley, Sports Editor & News Editor

Ben Hensley is a journalism major with an aspiration for sports and live sports broadcasting, along with analysis and commentary. Living in the Fresno...