School Walkouts Are Not a Trend

Photo+from+the+Seattle+City+Council.+
Photo from the Seattle City Council.

Photo from the Seattle City Council.

Photo from the Seattle City Council.

Story By: Stefanie Verdugo Tholen, Reporter

On March 14, 2018, students all over the United States walked out of class to protest against gun violence.

When following this movement I had to wonder how many students were actually walking out because they truly want to be part of something monumental and truly protest against gun violence or if they just wanted an excuse to get out of class.

No matter what angle I looked at this issue from, I had to finally analyze it from a parental perspective. My daughter is only 3 years old but the things occuring now will affect her future. So I came to realize these young people protesting truly are inspiring and give me hope for the future.

Any time our country witnesses a movement where kids express openly and actively how they feel about political issues, it’s definitely a beautiful thing. It’s a shame that it takes tragic events, especially ones that adults are quick to put in the rear-view mirror, for children to generate the courage to express themselves. The “pros” outweigh the “cons” when youths are actively involved in generating change.

Many kids are labeled as followers who aren’t aware of what they are protesting or what they are demanding. However, to suggest that those kids are followers is to acknowledge the existence of a powerful leadership.

These tragic events have created a new generation of leaders.

Educators attempt to inspire our kids to speak their views and express their concerns without fear of being reprimanded or ridiculed. If you listen to the commentary on news television outlets or read the comments on social media platforms, that’s exactly what many adults are doing.

They are ridiculing our children for speaking out. All I hear is fear. Frightened adults are disguising their fear through childish insults. They hoped these kids would back down because their scare tactics had worked in the past, but these kids literally keep marching forward.

After every school shooting, the adults begin an argument about whether or not guns are the problem. In the end, the adults’ right to own assault rifles prevails and nothing changes.

Children are the largest unrecognized oppressed group, for they aren’t allowed to vote on issues that affect their safety. Yet, they are the ones who are dying in their schools, along with the courageous teachers and coaches that sacrifice their lives for them.

The students in Florida have had enough. They are challenging politicians and the NRA on live television, asking questions that voting adults rarely ask. Kids all over the country are organizing marches. They are demonstrating. They have had enough, and since nothing has changed in relying on adults to be their voice, they are speaking out. They have found their voices and when I am old and gray they will make sure that this world is a bit better for our younger generation.

Stefanie Verdugo Tholen, Reporter
Stefanie Verdugo Tholen is 41 years of age, lives in Fresno, California with her husband Tim Tholen and has a 2 1/2 year old daughter named Helena. She was born and raised in Fresno by her parents Joe and Margie, who were married for over 42 years. She has two older brothers, and comes from...