Review of the BioShock Collection

More stories from Michael Mendez

Rapture and Columbia are now open, waiting for visitors new and old alike. 2K Games releases their critically acclaimed first-person-shooter series “BioShock:The Collection,”

The collection is the ultimate re-telling of the BioShock world with extra features that will please fans while creating new ones in the process.

The compilation features all three games of the series, “BioShock,” “BioShock 2” and “BioShock Infinite,” all of which are available now for Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC. The first-person-shooter series has you exploring the underwater city of Rapture and the floating city of Columbia, and in the vast worlds, not everything is as it seems. Forced to make your way out with a gun in one hand and shooting lightning with the other, the story slowly reveals deeper secrets as it unravels further and faster.

It tells the tales of three protagonists that shape Rapture and Columbia depending on how you play the game. Good and bad endings depend on your choices in the game.

Those who have played the “BioShock” series on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will notice some subtle changes. The gameplay and controls flow the same as their original console versions, but with slightly sharper camera turns and greater controller sensitivity, which keeps you on edge, wondering if a Big Daddy or a Splicer are right behind you.

The biggest feature that came with this remaster was the visual upgrades implemented with each game in this collection. With each game getting a massive visual overhaul making everything look sharper, the greater detail beats out previous console versions.

The use of color adds to a greater atmosphere for each game and their settings. The underwater utopia of Rapture becomes darker and colder, building the claustrophobic tension of a city and showing the cracks of its self-destruction. The floating metropolis of Columbia may seem calm on the surface, being more bright and colorful, but one can sense something darker on the inside.

The collection doesn’t stop there. It’s loaded with extra content that will have you playing well past the story campaigns. The collection features all single player downloadable content that includes challenge rooms in “Bioshock,” protector trials from “Bioshock 2,” the “Burial at Sea” story packs from “Bioshock Infinite” and many more. The collection also includes audio commentary from series creator Ken Levine who give an in-depth look at the inception of the series.

Since we live in an age of gaming it seems every classic game gets a remake or rerelease, but this collection stands out above all the rest. This collection takes you back to the first time you played; getting lost in new world. The extra features keep the game fresh and will have you playing for hours on end, faster than you can say “Would you kindly?”

Michael Mendez, Reporter

The Fresno City College women’s tennis team traveled to their university neighbors playing an exhibition match against nationally ranked Fresno State. State showed why they are ranked number 24 in the nation by winning all of their double and singles competitions. As much as this was a loss for the Rams, they considered it more of a learning experience.

The Bulldogs maintained control of the doubles matches, separating themselves from the Rams by winning every match without losing a single set in the process. Head coach for FCC Chantel Wiggins, a former Fresno State alumni seeing the difference of her team and where they stand playing against Division 1A schools, and seeing how her team can grow from this matchup moving forward.

“This was a very tough match as Fresno State is one of the best teams in the country right now and it showed during this match. It was awesome to have this match to see where we are and how we can grow from this to get to where we want to be.” said Wiggins.

The exhibition match between the two Fresno schools started in doubles competition with some of the best pairings the city of Fresno has to offer.

The matches started with State taking control, playing aggressive demonstrating how they flowed as a team; as they were able to get really strong serves, vollies and mastering counters to keep the ball in play.

The match moved to singles competition, which is known as the Rams ace in the hole when when it comes to closing out matches but unfortunately it wasn’t enough to make a comeback against the highly ranked Bulldogs.

By playing heads up mentality being able to scramble to live balls fast, strong sevres and keep the tempo they set for themselves during double. Fresno State won all of the single matches, but not all of them were easy wins the final two matches came down to a 1-2 set difference, proving that the Rams were tough and mean in their own right and won’t go down so easily.

Despite losing this exhibition match Maria Ochoa sees this match more of a learning curve of her own game and what she wants it to be.

“They were a very tough team, as i see a higher level of tennis is and I will try to improve my game to get to that kind of level.” said Ochoa.

Even Though this match resulted in a lose for the Rams, coach Wiggins like always is taking what they learned from this match and implying it to their future matches. As their next big match as they enter conference play in the Big Eight southern tournament, which they are confident to win that as it would lead to their ultimate goal of a state title.

“It is awesome to have great competition as it puts us in perspective of where we are, and where we need to be in order to win state.” said Wiggins.