FCC Earns Top Spot for Increase in Transfer Degrees

Story By: Ashleigh Panoo, Editor-in-Chief

Fresno City College will honored in December for increasing the number of students earning an associate’s degree for transfer in the past year.

A total of 585 associate degrees for transfer were earned in the 2015-2016 year, an increase of 314 from the previous year, according to the Campaign for College Opportunity. More than 850 students transferred into the CSU system from FCC.

The college made the second largest gain of the 114 California Community Colleges, only behind Santa Ana College.

The Campaign for College Opportunity announced the names of nine California community colleges that significantly increased their number of transferring students who enrolled at a CSU with junior status.

Although FCC did not produce the largest amount of transfers from its 17,000 student body, the campaign awarded the school with an excellence in effort award.

According to the campaign, most students enter a community college with the goal of transferring to a university, but only 4 percent end up transferring within two years.

Legislation passed in 2010 created an easier path to earn a transfer degree and admission as juniors into the CSU system. Since then, 69,000 students have graduated with an associate’s degree for transfer, according to the Campaign for College Opportunity.

Twelve other colleges and universities will be honored on Dec. 5 in Los Angeles for supporting the ADT program.