The Future is Lucha Fest

People line up to watch the wrestling match and walk around Lucha Fest in downtown Fresno Saturday Sept. 22, 2018.

Photo by: Toni Woodruff

Photo by: Toni Woodruff

Story By: Toni Woodruff, Reporter

The Latino based music festival Lucha Fest celebrated its second year in downtown Fresno at the Rainbow Ballroom Saturday Sept. 22 with taco trucks, skate competition, live wrestling and more.

“Lucha Fest is a place where everybody should feel safe being who they are, everyone can feel and dress how they want and come express themselves through whatever their art is,” said Anthony Taylor, a local producer who participated in this year and last years Lucha Fest.

The local event showcases all kinds of talent from Fresno with booths for artists and local clothing brands, a fashion show and also live music from a variety of genres.

“As a young adult, it’s nice to see people my age doing positive things. Lucha Fest is very inspiring and brings the creatives together,” said Isaiah Wiggins, a mutual friend of artists that performed at Lucha Fest.

Though the festival is young and new the community has high hopes for Lucha Fest. “With Lucha Fest already being well known, it could become very popular in Fresno and give artists an even bigger platform locally,” said Wiggins.

Fashion designer Kayla Castro showcased a fashion show this Lucha Fest with her brand Brownsugar. “Lucha Fest is an amazing platform for me to share my work,” said Castro. “Nobody has fights going down during festivals, I think it’s dope.”

Community member Juan Escobedo attended Lucha Fest for the first time this year because of the festivals popularity, food and diversity, “It’s just cool to see what’s possible at local events, theres live wrestling and taco trucks right next to each other,” said Escobedo.

Toni Woodruff, Reporter

Toni Woodruff is a 19-year-old journalism and communications major at Fresno City College. She was born and raised in Fresno. She graduated from Edison High School in 2016 where she was involved in sports and leadership.

Amongst her many passions, Toni has found herself most at home when writing, especially poetry. She has competed in and won many local poetry slams and was given the opportunity to say an original piece at her graduation, baccalaureate and various Black Student Union events. Toni also spends a considerable amount of time writing short stories that often dismantle stereotypes and stigmas that she is faced with through playful and humorous but serious fiction.

Toni is in place to transfer from Fresno City College in the fall of 2020. She has hopes of going to either San Francisco State University or another university on the east coast. Toni will be going into the public relations field, she shows interest in crisis communications as well as social media management.

Over the years, Toni has had ideas and rudimentary plans on a television series she hopes to one day make come to life. She shows immense concern about the type of representation teens and young adults from all different identities are being exposed to and what stereotypes those media outlets might be pushing instead of challenging.