Filed under Entertainment

Mike Dana & Larry Honda Celebrated At Final Jazz Concert

From+left%2C+Mike+Dana+and+Larry+Honda+reflect+on+their+careers+as+music+instructors+at+Fresno+City+College.+
From left, Mike Dana and Larry Honda reflect on their careers as music instructors at Fresno City College.

Photo by: Larry Valenzuela

Photo by: Larry Valenzuela

Retiring Fresno City College music instructors Mike Dana and Larry Honda were celebrated by their students and faculty during the final jazz concert of the semester on May 7.

The program, dubbed “Past, Present and Future: 28 Years of Jazz at FCC” featured live performances from the Honda-directed jazz combos and the Dana-directed jazz ensemble; whom recently earned the top honors at the 2018 Reno Jazz Festival.

The evening began with performances by the South, West, East and North Combos.

The South Combo performed “All Blues” by Miles Davis and “Billie’s Bounce” by Charlie Parker. The West Combo followed by performing Honda’s original composition, “Fort Tejon” and another Parker classic, “Groovin’ High.”

The East Combo kicked off their set by performing an arrangement of “Delfino Plaza” from the video game, “Super Mario Plaza.” Trombonist Jack Landseadel, who arranged the song donned a red Mario Bros. hat during this performance. It was then followed by “Chameleon” by Herbie Hancock.

Rounding out Honda’s combos was the North Combo. Before their performance, the group revealed that they were wearing custom t-shirts calling themselves, “Honda’s Angels” as they performed “Black Nile” by Oleo.

Between each combo, Honda was honored by the students for his 21 years at FCC.

The Dana-directed jazz ensemble then took the stage as they performed under his direction for one last time. The group performed “Koobism” by Chris Merz, “(Fall Down Seven) Stand Up Eight” by Steve Owen, “Tell Me a Bedtime Story” by Herbie Hancock, “Blame It On My Youth” by Levant/Heyman, “Tetragon” by Joe Henderson, “The Mild, Mild Midwest” and ended the evening with “Cherry Juice” by Thad Jones.

Between each song, Dana took time to reflect on his 28 years at FCC and acknowledged his students and music faculty.

The retirees expressed satisfaction with the students’ performances.

“I thought the combos and ensembles did very well tonight,” said Dana. “Sometimes, we forget these students have other things to do, so for them to come together and perform so well tonight is very cool.”

“I thought the combos and ensembles were wonderful tonight,” said Honda. “I was really happy with what they did.”

Subsequently, music instructor Kevin Cooper presented Dana and Honda with commemorative plaques on behalf of the entire FCC music faculty, thanking the retirees for their contributions to the program.

Dana’s wife and fellow music instructor Julie Dana also surprised the retirees with a special performance of Artie Butler’s “Here’s to Life” by the Vocal Jazz Ensemble, which Mr. Dana also helped teach.

Regarding the choice of song, Mrs. Dana felt that the lyrics spoke well to her husband and Honda as the enter retirement.

“The lyrics are similar to raising a toast, talking about joy and life,” said Mrs. Dana. “It was appropriate for the evening.”

By the end of the concert, Dana and Honda expressed that they will look back on the evening as a bittersweet swan song as they move on from music education at FCC.

“I will remember the pride I felt hearing the students play and remembering where we started from in the beginning of the semester and where we are now,” said Dana. “That’s immensely gratifying to me.”

“It’s neat to have the whole community together tonight,” said Honda. “I’ll think about the students’ final performances with Mike and I.”

Noah Villaverde, Entertainment Editor

Noah Villaverde is a 21-year-old who currently resides in Fresno, California and is a Mass Communications and Journalism major at Fresno City College. He was born and raised in Fresno and is now serving his third semester with the Rampage and his first as the Arts & Entertainment Editor.

Noah’s passions are intertwined within the popular culture. Ever since his adolescent years, he has developed an interest in cinema, television and music. His interests in cinema were first sparked after he watched “The Dark Knight” in 2008 after recovering from a fire that affected his family’s home. What started out as a nice distraction for Noah turned into a passion that has followed him to this day.

Before he gained an interest in writing, Noah had a short-lived tenure on YouTube as a movie reviewer a la “At the Movies with Ebert and Roeper.” The monopolized nature of YouTube eventually drove Noah away from that spotlight and soon allowed him to focus more on written reviews and quick blogs regarding film, television and comic books. Noah’s blog writing eventually landed him a position as a staff writer at the comic book film/television blog Heroic Hollywood.

Besides reporting on popular culture, Noah also enjoys working behind the camera to craft news stories through video as well as editing them together. When not reporting or doing his schoolwork, he enjoys spending time with his family and friends, watching movies on both the big and small screens, playing the saxophone and volunteering as a church youth leader.

Follow Noah on Twitter @noahgreenark_V