‘Justice League’ Saves DC Cinematic Universe

Story By: Marco Rosas, Entertainment Editor

The long-awaited latest installment of the DC cinematic universe, “Justice League,” is here people, and it is good.

DC Comics has had a rough go of it trying to catch up to Marvel comics’ illustrious collection of movies.

First, Marvel Studios has been able to make blockbuster films from their most obscure characters since 2008, when the first “Iron Man” film hit theaters.

DC’s first film to set up their cinematic universe, “Man of Steel” starring Henry Cavill as Superman, premiered in 2013.

At that point Marvel had already united their superheroes into one giant film, “The Avengers,” which was released in 2012.

Secondly, DC’s “Man of Steel,” “Man of Steel 2: Batman versus Superman” and “Suicide Squad” were not nearly as well received with audiences as any Marvel film at that point.

It seemed for a while that Marvel just started making superheroes too quickly and too well for DC to catch up and make their own superhero films.

However, “Wonder Woman,” starring Gal Gadot, turned everything around, showing audiences that DC could make a good superhero movie.

Maybe the comparisons to Marvel movies hurt DC in the past, but this year it seems the studio is finally beginning to hit their stride.

“Justice League” stars Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller and Ray Fisher as the Justice League’s Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg.

The group of heroes are united to face an ancient evil and save the world before it plummets into darkness—basic superhero stuff.

Though the film’s plot is far from original, it is the film’s delivery and wrapping of everything that makes for an incredibly fun movie-going experience.

Anyone who has seen the trailer could guess that the film relies heavily on computer generated images. The film’s villain is actually completely CGI.

But this hardly takes away from the film.

In fact, the fight scenes are made all the better because of the CGI.

One really feels like the Justice League is capable of incredible feats like moving faster than the speed of sound or soaring through the skies.

The film’s performances are nothing to write home about, but they’re much better than some of the cringe-worthy performances from previous DC films.

Miller’s Flash is by far the film’s best character in terms of humor and even relatability to the audience.

The Flash is constantly amazed by everything the heroes are able to do despite his own incredible powers.

His honest reactions in times of danger and unwillingness to brood despite having just as much reason as the rest of the cast make the Flash so much fun and a character audiences can gravitate to.

There were no particularly weak performances but many of the characters do not feel as fleshed out as they could be.

It’s understandable that Batman and Wonder Woman are the focus of the film given that the two are responsible for uniting the team, but Cyborg and Aquaman are given little more than a quick backstory and a few conversations where the two characters reveal a bit about themselves.

However, the two characters are slated to get their own stand-alone films in 2018.

Laughs, amazing fight scenes featuring a full cast of really super heroes and a congruent plot make “Justice League” the best DC cinematic universe film to date.