High School Choirs Perform in Fall Festival

Story By: Mariah Garcia, Reporter

The 40th Annual Fall High School Choral Festival was held in the Old Administration Building Auditorium on Nov. 1 and 2.  

The two-day festival consisted of 19 choirs from 15 different high schools throughout the Central Valley.

Each choir had the opportunity to perform songs they have been working on over the past few months.

Admission to this event was free for performing high school students, their families and FCC students as well.

Cristian Grases, an award-winning conductor and composer and professor of music at the University of Southern California, was the clinician during the event.

Grases’ job was to critique each choir after their performance and help them in areas he felt they needed.

Grases said that when choirs have an opportunity to receive advice from the clinician, they get a whole new perspective on their process.

He also added that clinicians have a fresh take on the songs that choirs have been working on for many weeks. So they get fresh ideas to take back to their rehearsals and further develop and mature their renditions.

“I am looking for what the choirs are doing really well and building from that,” said Grases. “[I’m] offering an opportunity for conductors and singers to expand their vision of the repertoire they are working on in the hopes they can apply these ideas to the rest of their program.”

The Fall Festival is one of many festivals held every school year for high school choirs from the Fresno area during which they perform for one another and before a panel of judges.

For further questions regarding choral events at FCC, contact Julie Dana, Director of Choral Activities and Voice.

Mariah Garcia, Reporter

Mariah Garcia was born on November 16, 1996 in Fresno, CA. Mariah is majoring in Journalism at Fresno City College, with the goal to transfer to California State University Fresno. With her degree, she plans to work in the media writing for the local newspaper, or broadcast on local television and radio shows. In her spare time, she enjoys singing and often shares her voice on the internet.

Experience that Mariah has that is relevant to her goals is that she has filmed, edited and uploaded videos to put on the popular video website, YouTube. Doing so, she has gained the confidence to be in front of the camera, as well as take part in the behind the scenes action. She focuses on what appeals to her audience and puts her all into what she does.

One of her guilty pleasures in media is reading what the latest scoop is in pop culture. If you ever need help keeping up with the Kardashian’s, she is your girl. She is highly active on popular social media sites such as Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest and is always up to date on what the latest trends are. Mariah also has a passion for music and is there if you are ever on the lookout to add new songs to your playlists. She is always on the hunt for new artists and albums to listen to, and she loves to attend concerts.

This is her first semester writing for The Rampage and she looks forward to sharing her work.