Securing National Victory

Photo by: contributed by fcccheer instagram.
Fresno City College’s cheer team celebrating their win after placing first at the USA Spirit Association Collegiate Championships taken on Feb.18

Fresno City College’s cheer team won the United Spirit Association Collegiate Championships in Anaheim, California on Feb. 18.

Amelie Medellin, a sophomore member of the cheer team, felt accomplished when she heard that they had won after all that hard work.

“It was nerve-racking,” Medellin said. “And then, we hit the mat.”

The team began conditioning in the fall of 2023, with months leading up to their first showcase that took place in November 2023, according to FCC’s Head Cheer Coach Rachel White.

White took over as head cheer coach in Fall 2023 along with her assistant coach, Triana Vang. They have been working together for the past six years, sharing roots in cheer from Fresno State.

She had a vision for taking FCC cheer to nationals and received overwhelming support from FCC administrators and other sports departments, and the cheer team themselves.

This was the first time FCC had attended the competition. Many on the cheer team were excited to participate.

There were many sleepless nights and hard practices that when FCC cheer finally won, it brought the team a sense of pride to be a Ram.

“We executed our dance and from there, it was history,” Medellin said.

Obviously, being an allwomen’s cheer squad was a big highlight for the team. Showing both grace and power to not only place but win it all.

“We got to show off that title just a little bit more because we didn’t have those ‘stronger men’ that got to help us to help us with stunts,” Medellin said.

White described a sense of pride after the announcement that they would be proceeding to the second day of competition.

“The team was sharp and energetic,” White said.

Teams participating in the USA Nationals are separated into divisions based on the school that they are representing and their team composition to avoid any unfair match-ups. The FCC team performed in the 2-Year All-Girl Show Collegiate Division.

The Cheer team is currently in their off-season but is still practicing as they prepare for summer tryouts.