Internet Friends Aren’t Creepy, They’re Really Cool

Photo by: Courtesy: Bit Rebels

Story By: Anjanae Freitas, Entertainment Editor

It seemed no matter how many friends I had attempted to make in real life, I would continue to develop a fascination with making friends on the internet.

The reality was, I was bored of the friends I grew up with in Fresno, so I made a MySpace. As a teenager, my grandma would always yell at me to get off MySpace because someone was going to share too much of my personal information and eventually kill me.

I had to assure my grandma that I wasn’t looking to go on the internet to date someone. I actually just wanted to connect with people who I had common interests with.

I never seemed to find an interest in sport teams or the latest trends. I was obsessed with the latest music, books, film, television shows, basically any fantasy world that was better than the reality I lived in.

When I was introduced to Twitter in 2009, I quickly discovered that there was so many people who loved the same music as me.

I went through a part of my life where I was really obsessed with Katy Perry’s music. When I discovered there were others who felt just as passionate about her music, I instantly made new friends.

Now I know what you’re thinking: “So you were just obsessed over a celebrity for a few years?” Well the answer to that is actually more complex. Yes, I had a strong bond with people over a celebrity. But more than that, I found people who shared the same appreciation for not just pop music, but all kinds of music.

Before I knew it, our conversations went beyond music. I was making friends all over the world who understood me. It sounds strange to think you would feel more comfortable telling your darkest secrets to your online friends instead of your real life friends right?

However, my friends in real life didn’t understand what it was like to be an outsider. I was a socially awkward ball of anxiety. Struggling with my sexuality, I felt alone. My online friends made me feel safe and seen for the first time in my life.

I remember my friends in real life would make comments about how “strange” I was for having friends online. How I was talking to someone who probably wasn’t real. It was kinda awful to see how society judged the idea of online friendships so harshly.

Hear me out: if you get uncomfortable telling your so-called “friends” about your life online, that means they’re shaming you for finding people you have common interest with. They might feel threatened by people who seem to understand the real you.

To this day, I still keep up with and visit my online friends. I have the ability to travel more because I have different cities and countries I can go see my friends in. They have helped me step out of my comfort zone not just by traveling, but literally by building better relationships.

Anjanae Freitas, Entertainment Editor

Anjanae Freitas is a 21-year-old Fresno City College student, and the Art and Entertainment Editor of the Rampage, born and raised in Fresno, CA.

During her time at Fresno City College, she found interest in the field of journalism, where she received her AA in journalism in the spring of 2018. She will continue to pursue her BA at Fresno State University in Mass Communications/Journalism Spring 2019.

One of her passions is poetry, Anjanae connects with poetry because it is an embodiment of the soul and human experience. Through poetry Anjanae as found not just her passion, but a way to mask healing and communicate her vulnerability. Anjanae released her first book of poetry on Amazon Kindle titled Bees & Weeds, in August, 2018.

One of her other passions is photography, which she developed through the many concerts and traveling she has done over the years. During a Katy Perry concert, Anjanae had the opportunity to be in the “Katy Perry 3D” movie.  Throughout all three of these hobbies and attending the film’s premiere, she has made connections within the industry where she was given an opportunity to collaborate with Capitol Records Street Team for Katy Perry. Through this line of work, she has been given many invitations to attend different entertainment events in Los Angeles.

Anjanae is leading towards the career field of social media management for the television and film industry. Her biggest accomplishment was having the opportunity to spend a day at Warner Bros. studio for Freeform’s hit show “The Fosters.” The event was significant in her career because it made Anjanae aware of and passionate about the representation that the television and film industry puts out in our society. Her aspirations in the entertainment industry would be to promote diversity and create strategies for companies to increase their representation of women, minorities, and the LGBTQ community both in front of and behind the camera, and on social media.

Ultimately, Anjanae’s career goal is to receive her MA in counseling to become a licensed Family & Marriage therapist.

You can contact Anjanae Freitas at [email protected]