Is Everyone Except Me on a Fitness Journey?

Story By: Melissa Moua, Reporter

Ever since the end of high school in 2014, I started noticing that a lot of my peers were starting to get crazy fit.

Some of them were getting fit because of breakups with boyfriends or girlfriends, or because of sports, but all in all, everyone was fit.

Just about every morning, I would wake up to a picture of a girl flexing her buttocks in the big reflective mirrors or a video of someone benching a 200 pound weight on Instagram.

If it wasn’t on Instagram, it was on Twitter. Tweets like, “I can’t wait to gym after school” or “It’s leg day” were constantly on my feed.

After three years, nothing has changed. Everyone on my social media is on a fitness journey, maybe even more so now.

Famous fitness gurus on social media such as Kayla Itsines, Cassey Ho, Jay Cutler and many more are inspiring many teens and adults to become a better them.

Heidi Lao, a liberal studies major at Fresno CIty College, says she enjoys working out here and there.

“I have been working out on and off after high school,” Lao said. “I like to work out because it makes me feel a lot better at the end, but I don’t work out everyday like most people.”

Lao said she follows many fitness influencers on social media, and likes to see their progress which motivates her to go to the gym sometimes.

When it comes to me, I wish I had the motivation that many of these people do.

I would love the toned abs and leg muscles, but I seem to always have an excuse not to go to the gym.

It is either I need sleep because four hours of sleep isn’t enough, or it’s that I had a long day and I would rather relax.

It is not that I do not love myself enough to work out— I love myself and the body.

Yes, I would love some tweeks to my body, but I seem to lack the motivation and perseverance to work out.

Gabby Angulo, a high school classmate of mine, said she started her fitness journey in high school because of the pressures of being fit.

“I work out now because I love it,” Angulo said. “When I was in high school, I felt like I had to be a certain way.”

Hopefully one day in the near future, I will be able to make time and put in the effort to start my own fitness journey.