Parking Passes Have Returned to Fresno City College

Photo by: Christianna Schiotis
The Fresno City Shuttle runs every 20 to 30 minutes and has 6 drop off and pick up locations around campus on Mondays through Thursdays 7:30 a.m to 6:30 p.m and Fridays 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Photo was taken on Aug. 24, 2023.

State Center Community College District (SCCCD) is now requiring students who want to park on campus to purchase parking passes each semester. 

According to SCCCD Police Department Chief Jose Flores, parking permits are valid at all district campuses and centers. 

“Once you have it it’s good for any parking lot in the district,” Flores said.

Fresno City College Vice President of Administrative Services Omar Gutierrez said that parking passes were brought back after COVID-19 because the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) dollars were no longer funded. From a federal perspective, the COVID-19 emergency is over.

“It’s very nice to see students back in action,” he said.

According to Gutierrez, the money collected from parking citations is used to maintain parking at FCC and other campuses and to pay the police and community service officers, student-workers who ensure cars are permitted. 

Drivers who park on campus are instructed to make sure their passes are clearly visible. However, if permits are not visible, community service officers can check to see if the license plate is registered. 

Staff members are able to purchase an annual pass for $80, while students can purchase passes per semester for $30. Summer passes for students are $20. Students are able to purchase daily passes for $1. All passes are available online.

Michelle Patton, an English instructor, feels that students shouldn’t have to pay for parking.

“If it’s a matter of they need the money for maintenance, or that sort of thing, they can charge faculty and staff a little bit more for their parking pass to kind of make up for that,” Patton said.

Gutierrez added that the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office could be charging up to $74 a semester, but they didn’t want to, “wash out the students.”

Gutierrez used to work for the Fresno County Office of Education. To compare, he said, “We used to pay 60 bucks a month, so $30 a semester to me sounds pretty darn good.”

Flores said for day passes, students must register their vehicles, and there will be a day pass that needs to be printed out. 

Students can purchase parking permits for the spring semester starting Dec 1. According to FCC’s website, summer permits are available for sale starting May 1. Annual staff permits were available for sale starting July 1, 2023.

Penalties for students parking without a pass in the parking lot or the parking garage can result in a $40 fine. Anyone parked in the disabled parking will need to use their placard.

Students who park in disabled parking spots do not need to purchase a parking permit. According to Flores, students who have a placard or a license plate with the disabled parking label can park for free in the designated spots. Students who drive motorcycles still need to register their vehicles online but do not need to purchase a permit.

After purchasing parking passes, students must provide their vehicle’s license plate number, make, model, and color.

Anyone who wants to appeal a citation is instructed to visit the Parking Management Bureau.

If a student needs help with the parking permits, they can call 1.800.700.4417, visit mycampuspermit.com or visit the business office located in the Old Administration Building.