Vigil Memorializes Transgender Victims

Daniel+Lopez+signing+a+card+for+the+victims+of+transgender+violence+during+Transgender+Day+of+Remembrance+Vigil+held+in+the+Old+Administration+Building+room+114+on+Tuesday%2C+Nov.+20%2C+2018.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Vigil Memorializes Transgender Victims

Daniel Lopez signing a card for the victims of transgender violence during Transgender Day of Remembrance Vigil held in the Old Administration Building room 114 on Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2018.

Photo by: Larry Valenzuela

Photo by: Larry Valenzuela

Photo by: Larry Valenzuela

Story By: Larry Valenzuela, Multimedia Editor

Celine Walker, Ciara Minaj Freazier and Viccky Gutierrez are some of the names of the transgender victims honored during the Transgender Day of Remembrance Vigil held in the Old Administration Building room 114 on Nov. 20.

The Transgender Day of Remembrance is an annual international event to memorialize the victims of anti-trans violence.

The Fresno City College LGBTQ Spectrum Club brought this demonstration to the campus. Plastic candles were placed along the walls of the room and photos were displayed of the victims that were being honored.

Student and club member Daniel Lopez said the slide show featuring the victims and their stories shows only a small fraction of the transgender victims this year.

“I feel like now, more than ever, people are feeling isolated,” Lopez said. “Whether it’s because of politics or just people in their life. It’s important to have this to give people a place to be loved and accepted.”

Juan Guzman, English instructor and LGBTQ Spectrum adviser, said he put this event together to allow people to take a closer look at the transgender community and remember the people lost.

“It’s a special day to not only bring visibility to the transgender community,” Guzman said,“but to also memorialize the people that were killed, just for being who they were.”